crap burbs gone good over time.

I'm not talking about the performance of the properties - I'm talking about the standard and livabilty of the area.

The demographic has changed there over the last 20 or so years.

Standard and livability of the area? There're a lot of high net worth people living in that area - some with wealth many like us can only dream of.

It really depends what section of Box Hill you are talking about. Box Hill Central houses command very high prices.

Box Hill was once a cheap suburb. It's a haven for wealthy immigrants these days and that has driven prices out of my reach, as much as I love the area. One thing you can be sure of is this: the truancy rates in Box Hill schools are declining as smarter kids move into the area. How do I know this? My brother is the Principal of one of the local schools.

When my asian friends looked at Box Hill Central, they actually preferred surrounding areas (Doncaster East, Box Hill North, Burwood) rather than boxhill itself as the perception of not safe was in their mind. That was the same for a number of my friends..

I guess its just like any other transport hub, just dont live too close to the station etc. I noticed quite alot of build up of appartments when I visited there last month for MSY..

When my asian friends looked at Box Hill Central, they actually preferred surrounding areas (Doncaster East, Box Hill North, Burwood) rather than boxhill itself as the perception of not safe was in their mind. That was the same for a number of my friends..

I guess its just like any other transport hub, just dont live too close to the station etc. I noticed quite alot of build up of appartments when I visited there last month for MSY..

The station has nothing to do with it.

When I was there, it was a leafy, family suburb - with a station. Full of older families and retirees, a few younger families moving in.

Then the demographic changed, and the whole presentation of the area changed dramatically in a few short years.

Standard and livability of the area? There're a lot of high net worth people living in that area - some with wealth many like us can only dream of.

If I was of a high nett worth there are a million places I would rather live than there.

Why would you? Unless you had a business there, or you had to commute to the city to keep earning the big dollars to feed the high nett worth. ;)

But then...you'd move to maybe Port Melbourne, or Albert Park, or St.Kilda, or somewhere else nice, near the beach, with a view. ;)

got a place in doncaster east - but box hill central is more congested rather than unsafe.

If I was of a high nett worth there are a million places I would rather live than there.

Why would you? Unless you had a business there, or you had to commute to the city to keep earning the big dollars to feed the high nett worth. ;)

But then...you'd move to maybe Port Melbourne, or Albert Park, or St.Kilda, or somewhere else nice, near the beach, with a view. ;)

You're right in that. near the beach is always good.:D

The station has nothing to do with it.

When I was there, it was a leafy, family suburb - with a station. Full of older families and retirees, a few younger families moving in.

Then the demographic changed, and the whole presentation of the area changed dramatically in a few short years.

yes agreed, some parts of Box hill have changed.. But I wouldnt say its for the worse.

I lived in box hill for nearly 20 years and I still catch a train from Box Hill to city everyday so I know the area upside down.

Back 20 years ago.. Box hill was a place with lots of drug addicts. I see them nearly every corner everyday after school.. Later police continously monitored and patrolled there and the addicts eventually left the area. Then the wealthier migrants came and drove the prices up..

So i find it a bit harsh that you said demographics changed and it made Box hill a crappier suburb

Having grown up in the Doncaster/Templestowe area of Melbourne I can recall a time about 20 - 25 years ago when Mitcham was considered a rough/poor area. Far from that today, pretty trendy middle ring eastern suburb, with nice homes, good parks and schools etc on the train line too/close to eastern freeway.

Balmain probably takes the cake for this thread. Was a rough working class suburb up until the late 80's, now it's one of the more expensive suburbs in Sydney. Paddington used to be a slum now you don't get much for under $1m.

Hell even Bondi wasn't much of a place 15-20 years ago.

Surry Hills is still a shi!hole but people will pay a fortune to live in a terrace house 3-4kms from the CBD.

In Melbourne, all the usual close to CBD suburbs, Richmond, Fitzroy, even Collingwood.

In Adelaide places like Mile End, Thebarton, used to be dirt cheap due to being surrounded by light industry, but now quite pricey by Adelaide standards.

yes agreed, some parts of Box hill have changed.. But I wouldnt say its for the worse.

I lived in box hill for nearly 20 years and I still catch a train from Box Hill to city everyday so I know the area upside down.

Back 20 years ago.. Box hill was a place with lots of drug addicts. I see them nearly every corner everyday after school.. Later police continously monitored and patrolled there and the addicts eventually left the area. Then the wealthier migrants came and drove the prices up..

So i find it a bit harsh that you said demographics changed and it made Box hill a crappier suburb

i reckon it is the chinatown of the east with many wealth migrants on a list for properties.

Just some input on Box Hill. In my opinion the area has changed. From what I've heard, Box Hill has the second largest office space in Melbourne after the CBD. If I was to have an office I would like it to be in Box Hill.

I have to agree that the center of Box Hill is not the leafy type suburb it once was, but you only need to go a couple of kilometre radius from the central to suggest that it's still the same.

I enjoyed the 5 years that we lived there. To me it's changed neither good or bad, but prices of property there has gone way up which is the only reason I wouldn't buy there.

Why are you calling Surry Hills a sh!^%hole? It's main drag, Crown St, is fantastic, and just keeps getting better year after year. The beautiful historic housing stock is being systematically and sympathetically gentrified, and the capital gains it's making are decidely robust.

The fact that half the residents are professionals and the other half are welfare recipients makes it a little bit weird, sure, but you can't have everything. As you mention, being able to walk into the CBD is a massive bonus too. I love living here!

agreed auburn, granville, lakemba etc. all have good fundamentals proximity to major hubs, transport etc but are crap suburbs and wont change anytime soon

Thanks, I'll put Auburn & Granville on my buying list.
I don't agree with you. Everything changes over time and with the lower holding costs we can afford to wait. I guess it depends on how much time we have......

Back