Creative solution to a windowless bedroom

Anyone have any ideas on how to let in natural light/ventilation to a windowless room (in a unit). Skylights/tubes are out of the question.

The only thing I could think of was a wall that went 3/4 up to the ceiling, with the remaining 1/4 (half a metre or so) lined with overlapping glass panels that block out sound but let in some air.

I might get an AC approved to cool the unit though. That room's bound to get hot.

Will advertise as a 2 + study. Lateral thinkers may find anther use for the study :)

End game is obviously to get signifcantly more rent for a small outlay.

One possibility is instead of a wall sliding Japanese ricepaper screens on tracks.

Interesting but has a bit of a makeshift feel. Just dont think it would work aesthetically/functionally ie take abuse from tenants.

I'm trying to turn an unattractive proposition into a trendy, affordable rental alternative. Window's are overrated :rolleyes:.

Can you knock a window size hole between this room and another room and have shutters installed?

I could but how would it look aesthetically to have a internal window looking into the living room?

Perhaps floor to ceiling glass panels may work, combined with blinds. Will be expensive, and it'll resemble an atrium without sunlight. It will look like a good study though - you know those offices in a bank branch where you have a chat to a bank mgr?

Keep it coming guys, someone's gonna take the innovator of the yr prize; and it'll open the floodgates on adding bedrooms in units on the cheap/quiet.

do like anoffice partition with the surrounding room, have a frosted glass feature wall next 2 where light would come into the building...

do like anoffice partition with the surrounding room, have a frosted glass feature wall next 2 where light would come into the building...

So that's either like a gyrock wall sandwiched/flanked by frosted glass panels...interesting. That way, blinds arent necessary. What about the ventilation? I presume the partition doesnt go all the way up...like a 3/4 height wall?

nah nah

like build a normal room, say loungroom buts up against it...

and loungeroom has light... in the wall instead of being gyprock, make it say 80% frosted glass or laminated with frosting, therefore you get light but also privacy...

eaither way it will look tacky, this way it will look tacky, but passed off as being modern.

Don't know your floor layout but what about knocking the walls down to extend the lounge space and build a new bedroom somewhere in the lounge where there is already a window.

G’Day HG

When I was selling in the CBD in Melbourne the concept of ‘borrowed light’ was frequently used

This enabled bedrooms to be placed inside flats and apartments and let the windows illuminate and ventilate the living area

For smaller units, such as student accommodation, this was very important as these units were often less than 30 square metres.

Bedrooms get quite humid which can lead to mould, but nonetheless it is important that the room can be closed.

Installing the old fashioned plaster wall ventilators in the wall to the living area should provide enough passive air flow to clear the room even if closed. Of course, if the air can get through so can the sound so you may want to think this through a bit more.

Some units use the concept of fixed partitioning with sliding panels to complete the wall. This provides visual screening but is also not sound proof

The most effective which I saw were fixed partitioning ie stud framed walls with plasterboard, a standard swing door with a handle in a proper door frame, and along the wall above the door height the wall would be glass. This could be ripple glass for privacy but avoid frosted glass as the light is diffused and the room can be gloomy.

If you are modifying a unit in a high rise building, be aware that there are reasons why the unit is 2 bedrooms with a study alcove.

This is because the building is designed to accommodate a certain number of people.

The floor loading, the sewerage and drainage, the ventilation, fire regulations, sound transference etc are all for a certain occupancy.

If you increase the available accommodation you are effective increasing the potential population of your unit from 4 adults to 6 adults. If everyone did this the building and amenities could be put under stain

Inside a unit is private property, but this does not provide impunity from adhering to building regulations.

Remember that an illegal modification to the building could be required to be removed.

Having said that, I have seen some very stylish and effective uses of borrowed light. If your unit is not in a high rise, then there really should be no trouble to convert the space as you have described.

Cheers
Kristine

G’Day HG

The most effective which I saw were fixed partitioning ie stud framed walls with plasterboard, a standard swing door with a handle in a proper door frame, and along the wall above the door height the wall would be glass. This could be ripple glass for privacy but avoid frosted glass as the light is diffused and the room can be gloomy.

Thanks Kristine, I think that was the proposal I was contemplating at the start of the post. I'm likely to go with a gyprock/glass combo - glass panels on top and in one corner from ceiling to ground. The unit is on the top floor of a 3 storey walk up (Sydney). It will have a swing door. either way, dont think it will work without some AC ducting or something for ventilation. I've tried googling the subject by the way with no luck. No articles on smart, attractive ways to do this. Maybe there aren't any.

Installing the old fashioned plaster wall ventilators in the wall to the living area should provide enough passive air flow to clear the room even if closed. Of course, if the air can get through so can the sound so you may want to think this through a bit more.
Kristine, not necessarily... you reminded me of something I saw on the Inventors years ago. I just found it online; it's an Australian design and is now in production: SilenceAir

I think vents wont be enough. Only AC, possibly ducted will do the trick. Despite the cost, I still think it will be worth it. I've attached a photo of a hotel I've stayed in with a windowless bedroom

The room behind the opaque glass panel is a bedroom. It was brightly lit with downlights...which gives it some ambience. That's another prerequisite I think- strong lighting (75w plus).

Attachments

• windowless room.jpg
    windowless room.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 556
Memorable stay for us at one apartment was a windowless bedroom with a whole wall of double sliding aluminium louvres. They could be slid back to form a partition or slid closed to form a wall between the bedroom and entrance area, so they were not directly off the living area and then the louvres tilted to whatever level of light and airflow was required.

slump

You could try the 3/4 wall with a louvered slump acrylic window system on top.

Or (Don't know floor plan) what about a short wall either side of say 800mm to 1000mm with a frosted or slump acrylic bi-fold door in the middle.
The short walls would add an element of a seperate room, whie opening the doors would allow for ventilation. Plus the doors would allow a fair bit of light.
a few vents set into the ceiling and attahed to an exhaust fan in the roof cavity via flexy duct would help with ventilation whilst keeping fairly silent.

Adrien

www.mametconstructions.com.au

there any many apartments in melbourne without window. they instead have an internal window borrowing off light from the lounge room

I've done couple of renovations with internal window but i think the best application woul be where the window directly faced the lounge window.

there are even developers who are now doing this :-

http://www.clarasouthyarra.com.au/theapartments/pages/apartments_floorplans.html

one 1 apartment remaining in the block

other buildings i can think off is 270 King St, melbourne
16 liverpool street, melbourne.

Back