credit score questions

Hi,

My gf has a mark on her credit score. Story is her REA was meant to pay rates etc on her ip and didn't. She has since paid the amount which was under 1k. This all occurred about 3 years ago.

Is there anything she should/could do to minimise any problems this might cause? She is hoping to get a second IP in about 12mths.

I tried to search, however the function wouldn't work on my phone (nexus 5).

Thanks

Probably best to get her updated credit report from VEDA to check that it's been updated to paid. You can pay to get the report immediately if required. I'm sure some of the other SS'ers have links for the page or know further.

Hi,

My gf has a mark on her credit score. Story is her REA was meant to pay rates etc on her ip and didn't. She has since paid the amount which was under 1k. This all occurred about 3 years ago.

Is there anything she should/could do to minimise any problems this might cause? She is hoping to get a second IP in about 12mths.

I tried to search, however the function wouldn't work on my phone (nexus 5).

Thanks

This exact same thing happened to me about 10 years ago. It was so late that I got a court judgment. It ended up being impossible to remove and stayed on my credit file for 5 years. I could still get finance with an explanation though, but it is painful and will cause problems.

Try one of the credit file repair agencies and get the real estate agent to pay for it.

Sometimes if the deal services on the spouses income we can get around the credit file issue that way. It doesn't work for everyone - but is an option worth considering for some.

Cheers

Jamie

Ok thanks.

She just got a credit card and just needed a letter from the council.

I'll get her to look it up on Veda and go from there.

I was interested to see if her credit score could be improved by taking out a loan for a car or something just to have positive history

I had a similar scenario with regards to Council rate payments, ended up with a court hearing date and a negative recording on my credit file.

The only way to remove this was to organise via Council a Notice of Discontinuance, once payment for this and council rates this negative recording was removed from my credit file.

Not sure whether you can do the same for your particular situation??

Cheers
MTR:)

I had a similar scenario with regards to Council rate payments, ended up with a court hearing date and a negative recording on my credit file.

The only way to remove this was to organise via Council a Notice of Discontinuance, once payment for this and council rates this negative recording was removed from my credit file.

Cheers

Depends. If court proceedings are afoot you could apply to discontinue. If it is a court judgment that means the matter is over and you lost. But, the matter could be reopened again if you have a good and genuine reason why you didn't defend it. Then the notice of discontinuance could be issued - if you have paid the bill or agreed with the other side. Otherwise they would just oppose it.

Cheers

I went through this just this week. Council rates went to wrong address, had someone hand deliver proceedings thing. I paid it ASAP, no court hearing neccessary. I ordered a copy of credit file and its on there as a 'Summons and Writs'. The Discontinuance costs $300 and 7 weeks to have it removed.

Depends on the amount, whether it was financial or utilities (although both bad - a utilities default is not as bad as a financial default), when it happened and how long it took for you to repay. You will need a stat dec.

You should go with a lender where you have or have had previous relationship and loan conduct.

Dual income would definitely strengthen the application.

You may need to consider a lender that doesn't credit score and has their own DUA like Suncorp.

Also be upfront about the default in the application - you do not want to want for the assessor to raise it first.

I went through this just this week. Council rates went to wrong address, had someone hand deliver proceedings thing. I paid it ASAP, no court hearing neccessary. I ordered a copy of credit file and its on there as a 'Summons and Writs'. The Discontinuance costs $300 and 7 weeks to have it removed.

Not cheap.

Depends. If court proceedings are afoot you could apply to discontinue. If it is a court judgment that means the matter is over and you lost. But, the matter could be reopened again if you have a good and genuine reason why you didn't defend it. Then the notice of discontinuance could be issued - if you have paid the bill or agreed with the other side. Otherwise they would just oppose it.

Thanks Terry for clarifying this:)

Back