Crossed another off my bucket list

Ouch. What an incredibly bad experience.

Where you in the yacht? It was in the Pacific the last time I heard.

Locked the boat up in El Salvador. Got stuck there for longer than I planned. A really wonderful place with the friendliest people. Be resuming the sailing later this year. Still can't decide whether to turn left or right at Panama.

Good story
Were you physically or mentally abused at all?

The staff were amateurs compared to my recruit and officer training in the army back in the 80s.

There was no deliberate abuse at all in Cuba.

Lived in worse conditions in the army too, at times. But I always had mates and choices to make.

The difference was that I was pretty much in solitary confinement with no information as to what was happening with my case.

Time heals all and already it seems kind of unreal to me just three days later on.

Daughter has gone to Colombia now and is really enjoying it. Partially because its now more like Australia again. Big shopping malls, fast food takeaways... however she really did enjoy her experiences North of Panama as well.

The poverty at Nicaragua was jncredinle though. She volunteered for a while at a mission in Managua- the poorest part of the poorest country in the Americas. After she left we heard about a neighbour- a three year old girl who was in hospital after being raped. It was done by a 12 year old boy who wanted somebody else to know what it felt like after he was raped. By a man who bought him from his mother.

No idea who you are. The new me doesnt rise to stuff written by people who dont even know me..

just on a shared hostel computerm with a line up, but will post the story tonight.

That's the best story (bs) going. The media should have taken hold of it.

I feel like a bit of a dik after reading it though. And also read the KIVA site. So some good may come out of reading your post!

You needed a Monopoly "Get out of Jail free" card, a break from the boat

Glad all worked out eventually Simon

Crock%2B1-3-11.gif

Sounds like a story you won't forget Simon, sometimes you wonder about honesty being the best policy in some countries. Interested to know what the story is with the Canadian?

The police stop all Cuban women talking to foreigners and take down their identity. If it happens a certain number of times they are treated as prostitutes.

I've heard differently from others who've been there so thanks for the info, it's always good to get a tip from someone who's been there recently and sussed it out.

I've heard differently from others who've been there so thanks for the info, it's always good to get a tip from someone who's been there recently and sussed it out.

I didn't actuall suss it out so much, rather what I related to you seems to be common knowledge over this side of the world.

I spoke to a Cuban girl with an Italian passport at a cafe briefly and she kept looking out for police watching us.

But I am sure you will find whatever you want over there.

If the girls rob you then I'd suggest maybe visiting the embassy before reporting it to the police .....

.suggest maybe visiting the embassy before reporting it to the police .....

That is the best advice. I was given that advice when travelling through Asia. Of you lose everything, find an embassy. (aussie, NZ, US or UK) shame the Canadian bloke didn't do his job.

Are you going to write a formal letter of complaint to the Canadian's. I would possibly write to the Canadian ambassador in Canberra.

Simon,

Wow, that's quite the little anecdote to your world tour isn't it!

And here I was telling my wife how awesome your life is now and how I wish I was replicating it. I might have to leave this little sojourn out of any future communication on this front...

Good to hear you came through it OK in the end.

Cheers,
Michael.

Also some non-Asian countries ... my sister did the same in Portugal many years ago as it was common knowledge "not" to go to the police

Dubai as well. There was a case of an australian girl reporting being raped to the police and spending a year in jail for have sex outside of marriage...

Back