Driving a wedding car for mu-la? :p)

Hi folks, random post coming up! Yes, I'm opening myself up to heckling and guffaws, but I've got a thick skin, so decided I may as well throw it out there :D

So, my poor old Saab may have finally died (final time of death TBA, once the mechanic gets his hands on it on Monday). It's not great timing, given I'm a few months off buying my first IP (knuckling down to bulk up my deposit at the moment whilst keeping an eye for my first deal), and I'd really hoped he would limp along for another 6-12 months. Sigh. RIP old fella. But, let's face it, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and I'm already thinking through a replacement plan :p

Given I'm right at the beginning of the investment journey, I can't justify buying something flashy, as much as I would LOVE to. It will only be used for city driving and I'm not expecting it to cover more than 3-5K per year maximum. And yet, I still can't bring myself to buy something sensible. I. Just. Can't. Do It. Anyway, regardless of what I buy, I think it will be funded by a personal loan as I want to preserve all my cash savings to feed into my first deposit. (Disclaimer, disclaimer, I am investigating the impact of a personal loan on serviceability, but cash is more valuable at the moment with serviceability less of an issue). SO....I've been trying to think of creative ways to justify buying something a bit more interesting (versus spending $5K on a reliable old Barina or something...eeew), and using a loan to do so. And came across a lovely old Jaguar for $14.5K...

It's pretty? In an Audrey Hepburn kind of way. And a car enthusiast friend of mine tells me its from an era when Jags were still reliable. And it got me thinking. Perhaps, on the weekend, I could throw on a little chauffeur's cap (maybe a Chanel one! Oh yes!!) and ferry some brides around in it. If I did that a few times a month, it would offset the personal loan costs, making me feel better about the bad debt. Great idea, right?!! OK, I'm cray-cray aren't I? I should just spend $5K on a Starlet and accept that I'll hate every second driving it. :eek: Any thoughts on my grand plan? Or other creative ideas (eg. Buy an Aston Martin, and loan it to Facebook friends on an hourly charge on the weekends? :p)

PS. I am absolutely NOT day-dreaming about a Volvo C30. And heated seats. And air-conditioning. And blue-tooth. Absolutely not.

OK, the floor is now open to make fun of me and my frivolous car desires.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wont comment on the legalities of using the vehicle for chauffeuring services AFAIK you need a special licence to do that.

What are your priorities? A path to financial freedom or a nice car?

Take off your emotional hate and put your logical one on. Buy but the crappy old Barina that will get you from A-B and keep accumulating properties. Save the dream car for when you don't need a personal loan to buy it and have a few properties under your belt.

DSC_0099-1.jpg

stock-photo-a-negative-thumbs-down-sign-with-clipping-path-4097914.jpg

url

Nein.png

And came across a lovely old Jaguar for $14.5K...

I'd call a sensible car a $15,000 coupla year old Toyota camry. Perhaps that old Jag wouldn't depreciate as much as a $15,000 camry? Dunno? But if that was the case, then the old Jag may not be too stupid after all? The Jag would have terrible fuel economy, but as you are not doing many Ks per year probably not that important? The Jag will probably break down once a year? The camry unlikely.

Is the old Jag worth that much? Dunno?

I'm not much into cars and especially not old Jags, so all speculation on my part.

See ya's.

Last edited by a moderator:
The jag will probably stay in bed all day and only decide to start up when all the stars align in a dodecahedron

stock-photo-a-negative-thumbs-down-sign-with-clipping-path-4097914.jpg

Hmm, that's pretty much the same sign my boyfriend just gave me via text. Right before reminding me that I struggle to find time for him some weekends, let alone chauffeuring around brides every other Saturday. OK, next idea, could one use a personal loan to purchase time? By the hour perhaps?

Something like that at the c ar dealers auctions maybe would not get that price,at Shannons Car Auctions it may well sell in that range,they are high maintenance machines,spare parts insurance,and time off the road the only good item is it has New electronic ignition,for that sort of money you would buy a private sale above 2004 c class and other model Mercedes with log books low klm's that will do 100klm's in under 8 seconds..imho..

Something like that at the c ar dealers auctions maybe would not get that price,at Shannons Car Auctions it may well sell in that range,they are high maintenance machines,spare parts insurance,and time off the road the only good item is it has New electronic ignition,for that sort of money you would buy a private sale above 2004 c class and other model Mercedes with log books low klm's that will do 100klm's in under 8 seconds..imho..

Haha I'm trying to imagine the look on the bride and grooms face when the driver in his suit and tie is trying to do 0-100 in 8 sec

Bit outside your price range, but when I did my second degree 20 years ago our lecturer in marketing (unlike some) could show his credentials by reference to his spare time business - vintage wedding cars. We spent one class at his place looking them over. They were obvious his passion, but running them as a business made money too.

http://agespasthistoricalvehicles.co.uk/classic-vintage-convertible-car-hire

Long time ago, but IIRC a key issue was growing the business to a size where he could always have a spare car available in case anything went wrong.

I knew a bloke a few years ago with two vintage Rolls Royce. He made them pay for themselves doing weddings. He loved those cars, so it was more a breakeven hobby for him.
I saw a fabulous 1940s Jag last weekend being used as a wedding car. It was in the middle of a 5 car prang - both ends were hit hard. I was hoping the bride wasn't on board at the time it happened.

SO....I've been trying to think of creative ways to justify buying something a bit more interesting (versus spending $5K on a reliable old Barina or something...eeew), and using a loan to do so. And came across a lovely old Jaguar for $14.5K...

Good on you for thinking. Go and find out more about what it takes (permits, license, insurance etc) to do this.

The Y-man

I knew a bloke a few years ago with two vintage Rolls Royce. He made them pay for themselves doing weddings. He loved those cars, so it was more a breakeven hobby for him.
I saw a fabulous 1940s Jag last weekend being used as a wedding car. It was in the middle of a 5 car prang - both ends were hit hard. I was hoping the bride wasn't on board at the time it happened.

Scott, you have a skill with dry comedy that is a rare gift.

You need a hire car licence in NSW

You pay monthly for the plates

It is quite easy to get provided you meet the conditions

Basically all bookings must be pre booked

You need a hire car licence in NSW

You pay monthly for the plates

It is quite easy to get provided you meet the conditions

Basically all bookings must be pre booked

That doesn't sound so tough!! I spent last night trying to convince one of my friends to be a sub-contractor driver for me...he'd look better in a suit than me :D He wasn't terribly interested, but I haven't given up yet :p

youd need a nice car.. Holden Statesman might do.

Your bookings must be pre booked. You can't pick up randoms off the street as that is what taxis do

I know someone who did this with a newish Mercedes. He did so well he bought a second one and had his wife drive it.

They found they needed the two for the Bride and the bridesmaids.

As far as I know he is still doing it at weekends. Probably has new cars now as he has been doing it for years.

Chris

Putting aside the logistical stuff, imagine the conversations you would hear on that drive to the church. It would be fascinating.
When I was at uni I worked on a boat on the harbour that did lots of weddings. Boy, there were some doozies.
Scott

Back