Crossfit

No I'm not training whilst angry , but have taken up Crossfit for the last few weeks

A great mixture of Aerobic and Anaerobic activity for me

I head down for a 0530 am warm-up, 0545 am class and then head off to work at 0645 am

On the upside..down 7.5kg since XMas and have been going 6 days a week

On the downside...go to bed at the same time as the kids and Fat Cat

Anyone else tried Crossfit?

Yes, its very intense but you will see results very quickly, crossfit was extremely popular when I was in the Army and still is. my favorite session is 400m sprint, max chin ups = 1 round. as many rounds as possible in 20min

enjoy lol

I've got a few friends who are into it and look like they could tear the arms off a wookiee (even the ladies) so it's got me interested. I don't know when I'd have time to do it though.

On the upside..down 7.5kg since XMas and have been going 6 days a week

I too have lost around 8kg ( just antother 10 to go)
since Xmas...but all I have done is cut out crap :)
Basically ...if god don't make it..I don't eat it :)

That means no (limited) processed food. If you cut out wheat your 2/3 of the way there. I have stopped bread, pasta, wraps . I make my wraps with lettuce instead (think San chow bow). I am still eating cheese and (possibly) too much wine...but hey Jesus turned water to wine so it avnt be ALL bad :cool:

In the past week I have just started gentle low impact cardio . (I have stuffed "skaters knees" ) did 30 mins of yoga stretching today and feel good .

It is just a case of finding what works for you

Theres a place near my work that runs this. The other day I saw them hitting a truck tire with a sledge hammer, then they proceeded to hop along the ground like frogs. Think I'll give it a miss :D

Thanks Nick

I also found this list of Bodyweight exercises

DJBarnstar,

Thanks, much more entertaining than The Burpee Mile

For those that are curious; Here's a video on what Crossfit is :D

What is CrossFit?

A workmate thinks I'm mad doing it, on the other hand he's off on regular 160 km bike rides which I think would turn my legs to jelly

My motivation..this years birthday

I just did 208km ride this morning. :cool:

I think Crossfit would kill me! :p

pinkboy :cool:

Crossfit turned me from this

images

Into this

images

In just 3 weeks.

I did it for a while, and even went along to the weekend courses to earn a few of the instructor certs.

Then I woke up to myself realised it's the biggest piece of BS in the world.

I did it for a while, and even went along to the weekend courses to earn a few of the instructor certs.

Then I woke up to myself realised it's the biggest piece of BS in the world.

We're probably going to extend the the thread now, but care to qualify the above with facts and context?

I'm enjoying it so far, coaching is like having a personal training session, albeit in a small group, form and technique are stressed every session in the group I train with

Its the first time I've used a Kettlebell since reading Pavel Tsatsouline's articles in the now defunct MM2000

From Nedfitness :D

A Beginner’s Guide to CrossFit

CrossFit is EVERYWHERE these days.

You can watch the CrossFit Games on ESPN. Last night I saw a commercial with CrossFit and Reebok. It’s showing up in magazines everywhere and has a huge presence online. If you have friends or coworkers that enjoy working out, you might have even heard them talking about the newest CrossFit “box” (gym) that just opened up down the street.

You might be wondering, “Hey Steve! What the hell is CrossFit, and is it for me?”

If you ARE wondering that, my response is “wow I’m good at reading minds.” If you WEREN’T wondering that before, you are now…which means I’m good at mind control. You see, either way I win.

But that’s neither here nor there.

Anyways…I’ve been talking with Staci – a CrossFit Level 1 Trainer, a dedicated CrossFit participant, and the first addition to Team Nerd Fitness (whose first full day is TODAY!) – over the past few weeks about how we couldn’t find a decent “Beginner’s Guide to CrossFit” anywhere on the Internet that wasn’t heavily biased in one direction or the other. On top of that, any time there’s an article that mentions the word CrossFit, a quick trip to the comment section reveals so much support or hatred that it’s almost comical.

Well, rather than wait for that beginner’s guide to CrossFit resource to get written, I figured why not write it ourselves?

Let’s figure out what CrossFit is, who it’s for, how it works, and if you should join your local CrossFit gym.

WARNING: At 6,000 words, this is the longest post that has ever appeared on NF. If you have NO interest in CrossFit, check back in on Monday with your regularly scheduled nerdiness.

Note – if you already worship or loathe CrossFit, this article won’t change your mind. Just don’t kill me…I like living.

What the Hell is CrossFit
?

Post Continues

We're probably going to extend the the thread now, but care to qualify the above with facts and context?

I'm enjoying it so far, coaching is like having a personal training session, albeit in a small group, form and technique are stressed every session in the group I train with

I trained at Southern Crossfit first. They had about 30 people every session and had no way of tracking peoples progress, helping them scale exercises to peoples own level, and seemed to program the daily works on a completely random basis.

I then trained at Cell, which was much better than the above since they limited classes to 7 people and they attempt to put people on a strength program.

Despite the above, it's a fallacy to believe it can take a novice to great levels of fitness. None of the Games competitors follow it. Sure it works for novices, but then again so would basically anything.

It's a fallacy to believe that:
1) All people at the gym should be following the same program despite having different goals and different starting points.
2) That circus tricks, as I call them, are worthwhile in the gym - namely high rep box jumps, handstand-pushups, ring dips, ropeclimbs, etc
3) That gym work should ever be 'for time'. Especially barbell lifts, and even moreso the case with oly lifts, as these should be concentrated upon to ensure good technique and effectiveness. Form wouldn't have to be stressed every session if there was a linear progression in weight used.
4) That all facets of fitness (eg strength, cardio, coordination, power, etc) should all be developed simultaneously, I believe this to be the road to mediocre in all of them. Look up the training of NBA or NFL players - they have separate strength, speed/power, conditioning sessions.

What I believe to be better, regardless of age or gender, is to establish a strength base first by following a simple strength progression program first and then, depending on goals, add in conditioning/fitness work or whatever suits ones fancy.

Good post Dave.

The deterioration of form when fatigued, on certain exercises, is what disturbs me with Crossfit.

What type of training program are you running?
Training for any goal in particular?

Back