Current city price premiums

A couple more meaningless graphs for my fellow analysis-paralysis travellers :)

The graphs below show how the current (May-07) city median values compare to the average of how their values compared with the other capitals since 1996. The more negative the value the "cheaper" the city is in historic relative terms, the more positive the value the dearer it is.

One includes perth, the other excludes it (as it is such an outlyer at the moment ;) )

Enjoy

Attachments

• premiums_since_96.JPG
    premiums_since_96.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 147
  • premiums_since_96_ex_perth.JPG
    premiums_since_96_ex_perth.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 144
Reactions: qaz
I think the reason you have been forced to remove Perth and the reason Sydney looks so cheap is that the data is too small a timeframe. 10 years barely covers a cycle and I think it is throwing the results. It would be better to cover cince say 1970.

I think the reason you have been forced to remove Perth and the reason Sydney looks so cheap is that the data is too small a timeframe. 10 years barely covers a cycle and I think it is throwing the results. It would be better to cover cince say 1970.

I agree. Problem is the data I have (residex) only covers all the cities from '96.

Here's data back to '79 for the east coast. Melbourne is hard to see because it is -0.02%.

Enjoy :)

Attachments

• sydbrismelb_since79.JPG
    sydbrismelb_since79.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 118
Same data as above, but plotted so you can see how each cities monthly relative value have moved against their average relative value over the last 28 years or so....

However you slice it, Sydney is at the least "cheapish". The $42 question is whether the fundamentals have shifted in the meantime, or whether there really is value in Sydney (from a macro view) at the moment.

cheers :)

Attachments

• sydbrismelb_since79_2.JPG
    sydbrismelb_since79_2.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Back