current curtain fashion

hi
i have a new house that tenants move into on 13th, which needs window coverings throughout.

the problem is two narrow but long windows (170x2100) that are either side of windows that are (600x2100). these are at the front of the house so i don't want them to look dodgy.

i was wanting to use cedar venetians from dimmeys but they are all too wide, as are the aluminium venetians.

my questions are; is it possible to cut a small pvc venetian in half so that each venetian only operates with one set of strings? this would solve the problem.

alternatively,what else is fashionable that is not going to cost the earth. i had a quote for custom made small venetians and they would be $160 ea!

holland blinds are very boring but effective. any suggestions please
grace

my questions are; is it possible to cut a small pvc venetian in half so that each venetian only operates with one set of strings? this would solve the problem.

In a word, no! You need at least 2 sets of strings to keep the venetian blinds level, to enable adjustment open/closed, and to pull them up and down.

Cheers
LynnH

You can cut venetians down, we have done it on many occasions and to either wooden or the metal slimline ones.

You can only cut it down on the side that does not have the pulling strings and can only cut it down by 5cm or 10cm depending on how far there is before the strings are threading through.

Pull the blind up and wrap tape around the whole blind securing it together next to where you are going to make the cut then put the drop saw through it if you have one.

It is so much cheaper to do this rather than get them custom built.

Bronwyn.

Still reckon a set of Old Sheets look good. Just ruffle em up a bit. perhaps a pillow case tied in the middle:p

Or some narrow curtains ruffled from spotlight:)

Still reckon a set of Old Sheets look good. Just ruffle em up a bit. perhaps a pillow case tied in the middle:p

Nah; newspapers are more stylish.

Don't forget to get a receipt from the newsagent for the tax return!

But seriously (aren't I always?), you can get those ready-made curtains with the big steel loops at the top, and a cheap decorative rod - all from places like Ikea, or K-Mart, or Spotlight etc. They actually look alright.

roman blinds in a nice linen-look fabric are pretty "in" at the moment too.

for timber look blinds, i use curtain wonderland. they have a service where it costs you $15/blind to have one cut down widthwise by the factory - so it's worthwhile. if you need to reduce the length heightwise then you can do this yourself easy enough.

I have used in the past curtain rods (you cut to size with a hacksaw) with the spring loaded ends which self support - no drilling required. Then buy ready made pocket rod curtains, use one side of the pair for each window, because you scrunch them up they dont have to be a perfect fit, too easy.

hi
i have a new house that tenants move into on 13th, which needs window coverings throughout.

the problem is two narrow but long windows (170x2100) that are either side of windows that are (600x2100). these are at the front of the house so i don't want them to look dodgy.

i was wanting to use cedar venetians from dimmeys but they are all too wide, as are the aluminium venetians.

alternatively,what else is fashionable that is not going to cost the earth. i had a quote for custom made small venetians and they would be $160 ea!

holland blinds are very boring but effective. any suggestions please
grace

the wooden blinds ome in various sizes, think i ended up going to either Freedom/Tony Sadler ... you can also cut them to size...

I got some for the little side windows from Freedom Furniture recently. They were about $40 each and I just had to trim each side which was very easy and I am not super handy.

i would get curtain and a rod, hang it, and put a 1/2 a curtain up, easy, simple, clean, and if tenant destroys you have a spare and just charge them an excessive amount.

always workd for me. you can get cheap curtains from anywhere and doesnt matter its one size fits all with small windows.

Nah; newspapers are more stylish.

Don't forget to get a receipt from the newsagent for the tax return!

But seriously (aren't I always?), you can get those ready-made curtains with the big steel loops at the top, and a cheap decorative rod - all from places like Ikea, or K-Mart, or Spotlight etc. They actually look alright.

I can't believe no one has suggested Al Foil yet... for the futuristic spaceship look. Or you could jam a whole mattress in the frame like a place down the road from our office has.

thanks all

thank you everyone who replied.

i've ended up finding complete new curtains, lined for $19 pair from dimmeys and they are 90" x90" ea. i had to convert that back to centimetres but they are huge. bit daggy but with the tracks costing $32.00 ea, that's a whole window treatment including hooks for less than $50!

have got some paper ones for the small windows at the front. they attach with tape.

Back