Blinds = 6months rent

The challenges of being an expat :p I get the following email from my PM (who is very nice... perhaps too nice) that I have some blind problems with my rental. I stopped reading at the $6300 figure which would be 6months rent! Especially since I just replaced all the carpets.

I thought I might just get some quotes for you with regards to blinds throughout the whole house not including the lounge room ones as they are lovely and the tracks can be easily fixed. I have only obtained a quote that is to change all the blinds throughout the entire house so they are all matching and all the same colour and kind that fit the window. The blind company has been there and advised the ones in the kitchen living area cannot be fixed they are too heavy curtain for that particular window and the bracket & rod is being pulled down causing it too break. The ones above the kitchen sink are very dusty and some of the cords are not working they recommended either something basic being a Holland blind or V I had quotes for which I thought would look nice & suit the house and that was for Venetian blinds the timber look in a crème colour they are very durable and that would be to fit all the windows throughout the house all bar the main bedroom which they suggested to leave and the lounge room this was for around the $6300

Wow! that seems excessive to me, $6300.00 for blinds...hire a handy man to go to spotlight on your behalf and hang them...im sure you would be looking at much less than half!

Cheers

We bought 4 sets at Spotlight for about $300. My missus and I hung them in less than half an hour.

Spotlight just do standard sizes tho so you might have to check whether they will do or you need some made to order.

Spotlight also sell "blind cutters" tho, which allow you to trim the ends off of the blinds, so if they dont quite fit, it can be done yourself...cutter costs about $20.00.

Cheers

No way Jose! (I need an accent for the 'e' ie hosay) We put slimline blinds in maybe 10 windows (some large some small) and all up around $1200. And they came in and fitted them for that price. Victory.

I think maybe your PM likes spending other people's money! Why dont you give them a financial incentive to see if they can get a cheaper price, based on the % reduction they can find?

Agree that it is definitely way too much to be spending without a substantial rent increase.

Dont suppose the PM's hubby owns a blind company by any chance.....
I also agree that Spotlight is the go, they deliver for a flat $5.95. Last time I ordered $400 worth of blinds for 4 windows and they were here the next day. They also regularly have 20% or more off blinds in their catalogues, subscribe via email and you will know before the sale starts.

We put new wooden venetions on all the windows (from Spotlight) for under $80 per window (average), then did 2 x 2m wide x full length curtains for around $70 each (also from Spotlight). Handyman charged around $200 to install the lot.
Your PM has expensive taste, eh!:rolleyes:

I've just had a quote for a combination of holland and vertical blinds - around $1800 installed for a three bedroom house. That was through Kresta.

Are they replacing the carpet and painting the house for that too, or is it just the blinds, and if so, are they platinum plated???

Agree with above, seems FAR too much.

Where is the house, perhaps someone on here might be able to give you a lead on a good local window furnishing supplier?

asy :D

Shop around. We put verticals in a 4 br house including 2 sets of glass doors and one holland blind in kitchen $1500 measured and fitted. Shop around. Don't use a big company. Use someone who has lower overheads and of course check references

I'm not a fan of verticals where insulation is required. They do cost less than other window coverings, but do less of a job.

I am doing all rooms in a new 4 br ppor except kitchen in white slimline ventians from Super A Mart- around $600 for whole house, and takes only a minute to fit them. I did have someone quote around $6K for blinds for the whole house, but that was the most expensive and we are talking a 47 square house, not a 2 br unit! Sounds like someone likes a profit!!
Susan

Errrggh! We have just had a quote for Sunblock blinds (floor to ceiling window plus sliding door - both as two separate blinds); the box style blinds for 2 sliding doors; 2 per door; and box style blinds that open from the top and the bottom for another three floor to ceiling windows, for the price of............$6100!

We plan to live in the apartment in around five years time, and we do need blockout because bedrooms face east, but so much for my earlier comments. And because all doors face out to the balcony I dont like the rear view of hollands, so I cant use those. And verticals - well they would certainly be cheaper but we have had then on our house for 20 years and I am over them! I guess I will treat it as an exercise in being able to depreciate an item that we will eventually use! Tenants had better look after them though - although we are only leasing to corporate clients so think the business takes care of any damage!

Hmmm...It really depend on the quality of the blinds, the number and the size of the windows. I have installed blinds for half (9 out of 17) of my 5br house's windows recently, and it costs around $3200...:(

By saying that, I am talking about my PPoR, there is no way I will spend that amount on a IP...:D

Back