David Koch special on channel SEVEN

Did anyone see the David Koch special on seven. I just walked in the door and saw the last minute of it.

Would be appreciated if anyone that watched it can give me a run down of what they expect to happen with property etc.

because we are 1/2hr behind the eastern states it is currently on ... i'd rather chat on ss. more scaremongering, ill-informed drivel.

say no more.

now - the sunday morning political discussion shows and business news on abc is worth watching.

They had Rudd on there announcing the 3 year guarantee of all deposits in Australian banks.

They had some English "personality" talking about thick duna's versus threadbare ones. He did tell everyone that the result of the string of G meetings was just a 5 point plan with no detail.

They also had some bloke on to discuss property. My call is he will be the first to become unemployed. Absolute cot case. Spent 2 minutes in front of the camera and did his best to scare everyone.

They talked about unemployment rising and making sure you communicate with your employer and reskill. Mentioned the most at risk industries but then said the beauty of Australia is it doesnt hit any one industry but generally hits everyone evenly.

Interviewed some guy who is working 3 jobs to save his house.

=======

The interest in this show was not how informative it is to the average person on here, more importantly it was interesting to see what message they gave to the general viewing audience.

I'm sure there will be some link to it on the 7 website soon enough.

Last edited:
I thought it was a bit shallow. I expected more. Then again, maybe I was expecting too much.
It offered nothing more than what we have been spoon fed before.
It lost credibility when they started talking about $1 houses in the US and some "property analyst", when asked if it could happen here, said "yes it could".
I'm wathing Idol with my daughter now. Actually learing more from that :)

if the show was about trying to scare the crap out of mums and dads i am sure they have met their target, very shallow compared to what we talk about, those who watched the show won't be purchasing for a while!

Did anyone see the David Koch special on seven. I just walked in the door and saw the last minute of it.
You've probably didn't miss much. They've got Dr Doolitle 2 in Perth so obviously it was only for Eastern States consumption. In WA nobody would take them seriously if they mentioned rising unemployment.

Would be appreciated if anyone that watched it can give me a run down of what they expect to happen with property etc.
Probably a fall in prices. Just like calling a recession, they'll wait 3 quarters for the results by which time its almost over.

Property commentary was shallow - there was no mention of rental crisis , or lack of housing being built etc. To say that large falls are possible in SE QLD was being irresponsible , now the market will probably take a dive up there :rolleyes:
Spent 2 mins on property and 28 on the rest. Nice balance .... hmmmm

Unemployment :eek: Property prices dropping:eek:Resourses dropping:eek: Mining slowing:eek:

I hope not. I am about to invest there.

What makes YOU SO positive?

I will sit tight for awhile and see.

Like there have been a number of people here that have built Specs. That they cannot sell.

What makes you Soooo Positive about Perth?:confused:

What makes you Soooo Positive about Perth?:confused:
I made a stupid mistake and gave my phone number to a few hire agencies, now I'm getting spammed with SMS job offers every day. Plenty employers have gave up advertising and are getting people straight from the hire agencies and pay the higher price. Employers can't find enough real workers willing to work for $50K or less, plenty of crackheads, junkies and morons but that's about all. Everyone seems to be after a job up- north for $150K+

they basically compared australia with the usa property market - but said that we were the same and will hit the same property crisis ... ummmm ... nothing was mentioned about the differences - recourse/nonrecourse, oversupply/undersupply, rental demand/high vacancy, strong employment/strong unemployment and so it goes on ...

all in all it was lowest denominator, sensationalism journalism that did nothing but scaremonger.

unfortunately to many people will watch it and believe the tripe they're being fed.

From my point of view the show is driven by its sponsors...

I was surprised when Craig James (the "economist" from Commsec)
says share markets always bounce back, and he compared with the 1987 crash and the market came back after 7 years.... so he implied that share market always come back after 7 years.... can someone show him a map and tell him where Japan is ???
But then again he works for Commsec so this make sense...

Also surprised that when the GHPC property expert comes out... may be the RE industry is finding sales almost stalled and it is now pressuring on the vendor side to drop prices....

Anyway, over the weekend in Cabramatta 1br unit sold for 123k, assuming you can get tenants and they actually pay rent, that's pretty good yield !

when the times are good people spend like crazy, when the times are bad people restrict spending, remember rent is also an expense.....

It seems to me the media is completely out of control and the programme on 7 tonight would have spooked many people. Completely irresponsible journalism.

Another example is page 10 of the Sunday Times in Perth today. Under a headline of "Lookers But Few Bidders" the story started with "the effects of the credit crisis was felt in the Perth housing market yesterday as a crowd of more than 200 remained silent at a home in Wembley Downs". About 9 paragraphs later the article states "interested buyers came out of the woodwork after the auction.As a result the home is under offer and we are very happy with the result".

Hi all

The media create the lemmings. In good times the media is euphoric and headlines makes people think they are missing out and so rush in generally at the top.

When things are not so good the media goes even further and scares the sh#t out of people.

As for Kochie well he is a media puppet thats it. He knows who butters his bread and thats all he cares about.

Cheers
BC

They had Rudd on there announcing the 3 year guarantee of all deposits in Australian banks.

They had some English "personality" talking about thick duna's versus threadbare ones. He did tell everyone that the result of the string of G meetings was just a 5 point plan with no detail.

They also had some bloke on to discuss property. My call is he will be the first to become unemployed. Absolute cot case. Spent 2 minutes in front of the camera and did his best to scare everyone.

They talked about unemployment rising and making sure you communicate with your employer and reskill. Mentioned the most at risk industries but then said the beauty of Australia is it doesnt hit any one industry but generally hits everyone evenly.

Interviewed some guy who is working 3 jobs to save his house.

=======

The interest in this show was not how informative it is to the average person on here, more importantly it was interesting to see what message they gave to the general viewing audience.

I'm sure there will be some link to it on the 7 website soon enough.

Great sum up, Tina,

I thought it was pretty basic. I guess most of us here tune in to so many shows and discuss the economic crisis so intently that we are being overly critical of a show aimed to educate the not so economically literate person.

Saying that though: Wasn't that English guy a joke. :eek: I think Koshy looked a bit shell shocked after his wasteful blurb!

Regards JO

these shows dont appeal to investors - they are just light entertainment for someone like myself anyway.

anyone taking all their advice from shows like this shouldnt be investing.

yes, valid points raised. yes, points were true and accurate. take a step back and read between the lines....

rates falling, rents rising - that should be a bright neon "watch this space" sign for any property investor.

Back