Definition of living?

I am young guy living with parents, going through uni and working full time. Recently i've decided to buy a house using the FHBG - but i want to live at home so I don't have to buy furniture and food etc (i'm paying board at home at the moment).

So my question is - do i have to physically live in the house for the mandatory 6 months or is there another way around it?

If someone else is living in the house you are definitely on the wrong side of the line.

If the house is otherwise empty and you get your mail sent there and transfer your drivers licence but end up spending most of the time back at your parents because - hey - you miss them terribly - but you still spend at least some time at your new home you might be ok.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah i understand that having someone else living in it would be dodgy. But what i meant was would there be random visits to check that you live there?

Do you even have to change your address?

I asked much the same as this a little while ago and noone responded, so curious myself.

The ATO website has things like your electoral roll registration is there, your personal possessions are there and a few other things and some other rather vague waffle. We've already got the utilities connected there and all sorts of weird stuff like towels, a kettle, various cutlery and crockery, spare cot, bed, chairs etc there ... the council was about to ping us for living in such squalor (the house has no kitchen and has several floors in varying degrees of being ripped out and replaced) but were happy that we had a primary residence elsewhere and were only staying there a day a week tops.

We were planning to properly move into ours for most (if not all) of next year just to be doubly sure, but we will be seeing an accountant to work out the best options once we've finished the reno. Our case is for CGT not FHOG though, and our biggest problem is simply that the other house is *much* smaller than ours, or we'd just move into it permanently and sell my old one.

Just be careful.

Reports in newspapers a couple of months ago of a number of FHOG recipients who were being sued by the Government because of not complying with the conditions.
Marg

I'd be careful. I know someone who got done had to repay everything, interest plus another $7k penalty. I think he got off lightly. Didn't matter, the IPs gone up over $100k+ so worth the free funding to get him in. As everyone suggested, just get as much proof as you can then rent out to room mates for cash and only sign a lease after 6 months. I have not heard of them sending inspectors over but it is enforced by each state's revenue office. What we're suggesting here is probably against the spirit of the FHOG but hey, this govt loves handing out free money and at the same time discriminate against who can and can't get things so why not have a go?

Its generally not a good idea to mess around with the state revenue office.

The standard penalty in Qld is repay the grant + any stamp duty concession multiplied by 1.7 plus 15 percent penalty interest. It adds up fast.

Oh come on people, didn't you do high school grammar?

The thread is Flippers in trouble. Just a plural.

If it was Flipper's in trouble, then I'd be worried what has happened to poor Flipper.

If it was Flipper's in trouble, then I'd be worried what has happened to poor Flipper.

I'd be worried two.

Nellyei, on your issue, it'd be too easy for neighbours to act as witnesses in any case against you and claim that you never sleep there. If you miss your parents that much, get them to move into your new place with you ;)

go around the council pickups and get some "used" furniture. park your car in the driveway a few nights a week. make sure everything is kept maintained, get yourself some timer lights to come on and off - why not?

so in summary from reading ur posts...

by law you MUST live in the property for 6 months within the 12 months you bought the property.

You can be dodgy bugger by pretending to live in it, but then your neighbours may be used as witness against you.

So bottom line, there isn't a way to avoid the 6 months lease...

The state revenue office does a check of databases eg ATO, electricity companies, local council, license and registration etc etc of your address so if you didn't live in it, you would still have to change your address to the address of the property or else they will most likely find you and fine you (in court so you will also be up for court costs). If you are renting it out, there could possibly be issues with the tenants receiving your mail ie they will rip it up.

Never assume the government is as stupid or inept as they make out.

Live in it for 6 months and rent the spare rooms to your mates - at the very least it will be a good experience to grow up stop spongeing of mummy and daddy for a bit.

Live in it for 6 months and rent the spare rooms to your mates - at the very least it will be a good experience to grow up stop spongeing of mummy and daddy for a bit.

Wouldn't this part have to be under the table?
I mean cash-wise, please don't make your mates sleep under the table.

I thought if you make it partly a rental you could only get part of the FHOG.

Get your mail diverted and phone and power connected in your name. Electoral roll is good too. They send you a form a year later asking you to provide evidence. They don't do random checks nor use you neighbours in court.

Pulse

Wouldn't this part have to be under the table?
I mean cash-wise, please don't make your mates sleep under the table.

I thought if you make it partly a rental you could only get part of the FHOG.

Not as far as I gathered. I only need to live in it for them to care, they don't care what I do with the rest of the house. A very common strategy is to live in it for the first 6 months and then move out, replacing yourself with someone else.

Back