Definition of Unit

This may sound like a silly question and forgive me if it is but what is the definition of a unit?

I ask because I've found a nice property where the REA has called it a unit but it looks more like a small house to me. It's a 3 brm, it's not attached to anything else, completely fenced off from all sides on its own but being called a unit.

The listing says its 123 XXX Street not 123A XXX Street or 1/123 XXX street. However I think it is on a subdivided? block of land.

Would the property type be on the title only? The land is smaller than your average house does land or property size determine the type?

Probably an honest agent - as many sell houses on a subdivided lot as just that: "house on compact block".

The 143A could be the rear/side unit.

The real cruncher is if there is any common land. If not, I believe for all intents and purposes, it is a house on a compact block....

Cheers,

The Y-man

Thanks Y-Man for the reply.

So would the title be entirely seperate in this case?

What if they shared a wall like a Townhouse but with no "common area". Would there be any BC or restrictions on what you can do to the external appearance? Or is this a case by case basis?

Usually if there is only two units or TH's is there really any BC involved? If there is would the BC be just the two owners of the units?

This may sound like a silly question and forgive me if it is but what is the definition of a unit?

Depends when you were born.

When I was 18 (in 1979) a unit was;

the name of someone who was an idiot.

the name of a really "grouse" (remember that word?) car.

what my grandmother called her home.

Nowadays, to me it is a "villa" unit - a ground floor, freestanding dwelling, usually with a single or double garage attached to the building and with a courtyard, in a smaller complex of around 12.

Some of my friends still call me a "unit", but you will need to add (their) expletives before and after. :D.

What your agent is describing sounds to me like a standard house, but on a sub-divided block. Still a house in my book, but agents will often call a property a certain thing by it's size. For example; they love to call a home on a few acres an "estate". Still a bloody house.

It won't be described on the Title, by the way.

The main think to find out is if there is a group that looks after the common interests of all the 'units' in the block, such as a body corporate. This would involve an ongoing cost for yourself (quaterly fee) and it would also mean that you couldn't just change the outside appearance of the place as you wish, it would have to go through approval by others in that group.

Sean.

i think it depends on what state is the property at
in Victoria, unit is what we call a townhouse over here.
And what we call unit is called a flat, i think.

i think it depends on what state is the property at
in Victoria, unit is what we call a townhouse over here.
And what we call unit is called a flat, i think.

The attached is some names for various types of units I've heard.

But I believe that a duplex in some areas can be vertically stacked as well as/instead of horizontally placed.

Attachments

• homes.GIF
    homes.GIF
    31.6 KB · Views: 174
Back