Delayed settlement to reduce CGT

I have learned so much from this forum, many thanks to all of you who take the time to help others. Since finding this site about a year ago I have just settled on my 3rd rental and owe much of my knowledge and success to information and links from this forum.

Your advice would be appreciated about the following-

My 21 yr old son is building a house that is due to be completed in October. He had planned to rent it and then possibly sell once he has owned it for over a year. He has had a serious enquiry from a cashed up couple who would like to buy the house asap. The problem is that his contract on the land was in March 2009 so the 1yr and 1 day is not up until March 2010. As my son is earning 6 figures he will stand to lose $17,500 in CGT if he sells now.
I have read about an option to lease, delay settlement until a future date. My understanding is that an 'option ' is entered into that is not a contract, whereby the buyer pays a deposit and secures the property. Does anyone have experience with this? Can the buyer rent the the house until that date?
Who oversees the 'option'?

Cheers
Jude

Back