Demolish above ground pool

Hi,

Would anybody be able to suggest the costs to demolish an above ground pool?

Typically we avoid properties without any pools but considering an opportunity where we feel it may be good to buy and ideally we want to remove the pool.

If the pool remains, what sort of maintenance costs are we looking at?

Thanks.

MsAli

I am not sure about cost.
If it appears in good condition and you just want it gone - try gumtree, freecycle or ebay. Some frugal person may be willing to do the work to remove it.

If you pull it down, roll up the sides and put it on a trailer you only have tip fees. But you'll need to do something with the yard.

If you pull it down, roll up the sides and put it on a trailer you only have tip fees. But you'll need to do something with the yard.

True there is a range of above ground pools from small and flimsy, diy 1 weekend with a pair of gloves and a trailer. Others are quite substantial and have build in timber decks around them etc.

I doubt there is a standard cost, get a handyman in for quote if you dont want to organise a family working bee.

two options:

put it on as free on gumtree, you'll get lowballers lowballing your FREE price

dependiing on where you live, put a for sale sign on with a padlock, visible to the outside, should mysteriously be removed overnight within a few days

:D

Hi,

The day to day upkeep of the pool (cleaning, chemicals etc) should be at the tenant's cost unless you include it in the rent. If you included that then you'd then be up for a monthly visit from a pool shop ($100 at a guess, including any chemicals necessary).

The filter, pump, salt cell and cleaner all wear out, all cost around $500 - 700 and need replacing every eight years give or take.

The day to day upkeep of the pool (cleaning, chemicals etc) should be at the tenant's cost unless you include it in the rent. If you included that then you'd then be up for a monthly visit from a pool shop ($100 at a guess, including any chemicals necessary).

The filter, pump, salt cell and cleaner all wear out, all cost around $500 - 700 and need replacing every eight years give or take.

Ed is pretty right here.

Another thing to consider is you even further lower your tenant pool as they will also take into account further electricity costs to run the pool equipment. Even lowering the pool run time is counter-intuitive as that increases the need for chemicals etc. Then you have increase in water costs as well from evaporation, getting in and out, bomb diving etc :D !

Pools are a lifestyle choice. High end rentals they may be a better point for a higher end tenant, but all in all, most tenants see them as 'work'.

Also timing of lease is a factor in a property with a pool. Better to have lease expire/renew around October-December. As you can imagine a pool might lend itself to some tenants as a cooling option for Summer months. Personally (and speaking for potential tenants), I would not like to have to look after a pool for 5 months before being able to use it!

pinkboy

Ed is pretty right here.

Another thing to consider is you even further lower your tenant pool as they will also take into account further electricity costs to run the pool equipment. Even lowering the pool run time is counter-intuitive as that increases the need for chemicals etc. Then you have increase in water costs as well from evaporation, getting in and out, bomb diving etc :D !

Pools are a lifestyle choice. High end rentals they may be a better point for a higher end tenant, but all in all, most tenants see them as 'work'.

Also timing of lease is a factor in a property with a pool. Better to have lease expire/renew around October-December. As you can imagine a pool might lend itself to some tenants as a cooling option for Summer months. Personally (and speaking for potential tenants), I would not like to have to look after a pool for 5 months before being able to use it!

pinkboy

Good points.

Rather like selling a property some tenants will NOT rent a house with a pool, some love the idea and some are ambivalent. A lot who are attracted to a pool have never had one before and soon come to see them as too much work (they're not really). They then don't maintain them and all the hardware that needs replacing every so often wears out far quicker.

and dont forget the high profile (footballer?) on TV in court because the tenant's child drowned in one. Wouldnt have one in a rental as a gift!

I think people are getting tired of pools, more buyers are asking for properties without one.

Tenants and pools just don't mix. Always a drama. To overcome this an agent I know makes the owners pay for a pool maint guy to go out each month to check everything to make sure tenants are maintaining it correctly. Seems to work well, saves owners in the long run by finding filter and pump problems before they come too serious.

I have bought a second hand above ground pool in the past.
I paid a nominal amount but it was my responsibility to disassemble and remove it.
It only took a few hours to pull it apart and load it on a trailer.The liner was disposed of and a new one custom made once the pool had been set up in the new location.

To overcome this an agent I know makes the owners pay for a pool maint guy to go out each month to check everything to make sure tenants are maintaining it correctly. Seems to work well, saves owners in the long run by finding filter and pump problems before they come too serious.

I have one with a pool, I include pool maintenance and send someone out once a month to check on things, balance the water (make sure the chemicals are at the correct levels) and do anything else that is necessary. The bill is usually around $100 pm. If you do this it's imperative that you have a salt water pool* so there is a constant chlorination of the pool. If it's not salt, then you need to add chlorine every couple of days in summer and once a week in winter - which is too much work for a tenant (and too expensive to have the pool shop do).

It would all depend on access to the pool
I am not sure where you are based but cost to dispose of waste varies quite alot.
Brisbane based Bossmon Pty Ltd offers all types of maintenance and construction work and will supply quotes for free.

Please check out: www.bossmon.com.au

We had a chlorine pool in a high end rental that the pool shop guy only came out once a month. He had it connected to a big container of liquid chlorine and the filter would suck it out as required as the water passed over the top (a bit like the spray and weed type garden hose attachments).

That being said - if it's easy to remove then I'd take it out.

Scott, that was a typo.

If it was and still is a typo it maybe better to edit and then every one that reads it will not be confused until they get to you second post or maybe its just me and you have fixed it?

I have a pool (in-ground salt but only small) and it cost about $60-70/pm to have a "pool guy" maintain it which includes the chemicals etc so if you were to keep it I would add $15pw to the rent to cover these costs and that way you know its being maintain correctly and may even make it more attractable to tenants as it can be listed as a "fully serviced pool included"

Thanks guys. Really helpful. I used to think pools are landlords to look after alone. Though I avoid properties with a pool in general.

Hi,

Would anybody be able to suggest the costs to demolish an above ground pool?

Typically we avoid properties without any pools but considering an opportunity where we feel it may be good to buy and ideally we want to remove the pool.

Thanks.

MsAli
You could jump onto one of the local Koi forums or contact the Koi association of Aus and I bet someone will happily remove it for free!!?
Just a thought. These people dont take their Koi keeping lightly. I bet its gone in a week:)
Ps you could only do this in NSW or WA as they are illegal elsewhere...

Back