Demolition of a fibro cottage

This question might be like asking how long is a piece of string, but here goes -:D

Does anyone have any idea what sort of figure we would be looking at to demolish a small 2 bedroom fibro cottage ?

thanks

L

There is a provision where the cost of disposal of asbestos can be claimed as an 'environmental protection activity'.

You might be pushing it with a whole house, but it's worth a shot. See what you can find out on the ATO site.

You'll have a better chance if the place is rented out for a while.

Scott

Thanks for that. What I was thinking was to rent it out at the moment and then in a couple of years build a nice holiday house for ourselves.
I just have no idea what cost a demolition of this sort would be.

There is a provision where the cost of disposal of asbestos can be claimed as an 'environmental protection activity'.

You might be pushing it with a whole house, but it's worth a shot. See what you can find out on the ATO site.

You'll have a better chance if the place is rented out for a while.

Scott

Would this also be the case with an asbestos garage.

Depends where you are, I'd expect

On where you are and how much asbestos there is. I'd probably say that you'd expect it to be upwards of $5,000. I'm paying over $2,000 to get rid of an asbestos bungalow 3m x 2m about 50ks from Melbourne. There are also costs to disconnect services first.

Would this also be the case with an asbestos garage.

Yep.

The idea would be to rent the place out for a while. Ideally, the garage (or house) would get damaged during your ownership which would necessitate it's removal.

There is a Ruling or a Decision on it.

Try putting the house on the 'Trading Post', or similar.
You might get lucky, and someone may remove the whole house on a truck.

you need to start by determining the extent of asbestos in it.

you could get a demolition company to quote to remove the abestos only and another price to remove whole house and clear site.

then get i would get a separate price from an another sole operator with machine and truck to remove house and clear site (excluding asbestos)

put the house in the trading post for free - you remove. sell the entire house, rather than knock it over, and stop the excessive waste that is our construction industry.

saves you $10k and someone gets a house with just the cost of asbestos removal, reclad and transport.

Exactly what we are about to do.
Have a 2 bed Fibro on central coast we have owned (rented) for a year. Want to build a ppor. Seems its well worth a go, advertise FREE the only cost being removal costs to anyone who wants it. Will save us approx $10k I believe.

Pardon my ignorance but how could you possibly remove a house that has asbestos on all exterior walls ( and interior) ? Do you think someone would actually pay to remove that and then take the frame away ? Wouldn't the fibres be around ?
If that is possible then we'll do it ourseleves and move to our land we have bough as an investment to build on later.
Might work out well :cool:

Pardon my ignorance but how could you possibly remove a house that has asbestos on all exterior walls ( and interior) ? Do you think someone would actually pay to remove that and then take the frame away ? Wouldn't the fibres be around ?
If that is possible then we'll do it ourseleves and move to our land we have bough as an investment to build on later.
Might work out well :cool:

It will still cost you upwards of 50k!

To strip and remove or to demolish ?

I just want it gone. Not overly interested in doing it ourselves ( not physically)

To transport, and set-up on another block. (rough estimate)
It could be less, depending on the distance, how many cuts etc...

Last edited:
A Removal Co. I have spoken with did not have any concerns ! I asked about the fibro and the only problem could be the receiving local govt. area, who may not allow, if it was proposed moving it to a built up residential area.
If it was going to a hobby farm for example they recon would not be a problem.
I dont care of course, once its on the back of a truck.....

locko24 you reckon 50k to remove fibro walls then move a 2 bed fibro ? (probably still cheaper than building !)

I'm not counting removing the asbestos.

I had a recent quote of 60k for a 3 bedder. It was 2 cuts. It was a fair distance though.

They did not ask whether the place contained asbestos, so either it doesn't matter, or they were a little on the shifty side :)

Didn't realise it woud be so pricey, but as you say 3 Bed 2 cuts and a bit of travelling !
Would imagine my 2 bed would be 1 cut, don't know for sure of course, then the distance ......whatever !

Don't think you could build a 3 bed for 60k

Back