Depreciation question

G'day
Just a quick question.
I bought a 1975 built unit in January 2002 & did some minor renovations.
I claimed no depreciation in my 2001-2002 tax return.
Now, in April 2003 while having a QS do a depreciation schedule on another property, I also got him to do one on the pre 1975 built unit.
My question is, in this years tax return, in regard to the pre 1975 built unit, can I claim all the depreciation from the time I purchased in Jan 2002 up until the end of this financial year or only the 1 full year of depreciation (2002-2003 fin.year).
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding is that you must use a notional written down value as at 30 June 2002 as the basis for calculating depreciation in the current financial year.

Unless you review the 2001/2002 tax return and amend it you will lose the depreciation for the 6 months up to 30 June 2002. Your QS will probably provide you with a schedule outlining depreciation from the date of purchase, so be careful to use the correct opening values this year.

Your accountant will obviously advise you on this

Michael

Hi

You will have to lodge an amended income tax return for 2002 in order to claim that depreciation.

Dale

ps - sorry abt the edit message, I hit the wrong button . . .

Originally posted by gad
G'day
Just a quick question.
I bought a 1975 built unit in January 2002 & did some minor renovations.
I claimed no depreciation in my 2001-2002 tax return.
Now, in April 2003 while having a QS do a depreciation schedule on another property, I also got him to do one on the pre 1975 built unit.
My question is, in this years tax return, in regard to the pre 1975 built unit, can I claim all the depreciation from the time I purchased in Jan 2002 up until the end of this financial year or only the 1 full year of depreciation (2002-2003 fin.year).
Thanks

Back