Depreciation Without a PAYG Income

Hi All,

I'm a long-time lurker, and don't post too much. I prefer to read and absorb the wisdom you guys provide!!

I have an intersting situation as follows:

On July 1 2011 my partner and I bought an apartment, and renovated it over the following 3 months (carpet, paint, furniture, lights etc.). We are going to be renting it out from 1 July 2012 as a fully furnished apartment. The kicker is I will be working overseas, a non-resident for tax purposes, and my partner will be with me (not working). As I have no assessable income, other than the rent (which is less than interest costs), is it worth doing a depreciation schedule now? Being all new furniture, fixtures etc. there would be a sizeable amount of depreciation.

The ATO guidelines aren't particularly clear, but I assume that any depreciation incurred in 2012/2013 can be pooled with all deductible expenses, which, if greater than the rent received, can be carried forward to subsequent years?

Is my interpretation correct? When (if) I return, I can carry forward the depreciation and other losses above the rent received, and apply it against any assessable income from subsequent years? Is there a time limit to carrying forward losses, or can it be done indefinitely?

Thanks for any help!! :)

Yes, your understanding is correct, definitely do a depreciation schedule (if its worthwhile or not will depend on how old the property is). Rental loss will be carried forward to future years, and when you return to Australia, and commence working here you can offset this loss against income. Th losses are carried forward indefinitely.

Also, was this place your PPOR? You note that you acquired it in July 2011, and will be renting from July 2012. If PPOR, there a six year absence rule, which would allow you to continue treating this place as a PPOR, and if you decide to sell, there will be no CGT implications.

Thanks monalisa! Sounds good! The building is about 15 years old, but there's about $10k of renovations and probably as much again in new furniture. Thanks for the info about CGT as well!

Back