Design my Patio for me?

attachment.php

This is my new PPOR.
I currently have no shade in back yard and am planing on building a patio.
North is up. Street is east. retaining wall is about 1.2 or so high. Back fence is on Another retaining wall about 1.2.
There is no eaves anywhere on the house.
I want ot provide some summer shade in the rooms along the west wall, but I don't want to completely kill any chance of sun in winter.
The yellow outline is just an idea I'm currently working with, but I don't know anything.
So... please suggest away.

Everything that's not yellow is existing. Ie, retwall, steps, lawn, paving.
I'm happy with changing the lanw paving, but retwall has to stay as is.
there is/will be some trees in the area above the retwall.

Attachments

• SCREEN CAP PATIO.JPG
    SCREEN CAP PATIO.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 382
Hi Jake,

I can give you a few ideas.
Firstly, you need to consider what you need, want and like.

Once you have worked out what your after its time to start looking at the structural elements needed. You seem to have this all sorted so far.

In terms of summer shade and winter sun there are two obvious choices - a deciduous tree or two (japanese maple, crype myrtle, frangipani), these will obviously shade in summer and lose their leaves for winter allowing the sun to come through.
Alternatively you could erect a frame over the paved area and grow a deciduous vine over that pergola, a few ideas include wisteria, grape vines or virginia creeper.

It always a good idea to soften fence lines especially in a relatively small yard such as this. I would suggest some fence high screening plants such as murrayas, viburnum or photinia.

Thirdly the yard is quite geometric, depending on the design of the house I would consider trying to break up with geometric layout of the garden by introducing some curved garden beds. Also add some interest with a variety of plants within the garden instead of the boring old straight lines of the same thing. Try and layer your planting with a background (screening plants) a mid ground and foreground such as low ground covers, this layering can be achieved in a relatively narrow bed (1m) and it is very effective in making a space feel larger.

We also have a page on our site with a wide variety of landscaping ideas and tips

Good luck.
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd probably swap the 2 over. Put the larger structure on the south side and the smaller structure on the north side.

BUT where is the living rooms and the sliding doors to outside?

With the smaller structure I would use either angled slats to allow north light in and block west/afternoon sun or simple deciduous vine (grapes/wisteria) etc. Until that grows you put shade cloth on it.

I like the really nice gabled structures for the bigger area. Yes they are $$$ but it's a value add to your house. Imagine this :)

alfresco_9.jpg

Or you could go skillion to allow north light in

336804.jpg

nivoslide1.2.jpg

Thanks, Dave. I have a feeling I'm going to sink a lot of time into your site.

I'd probably swap the 2 over. Put the larger structure on the south side and the smaller structure on the north side.

BUT where is the living rooms and the sliding doors to outside?

With the smaller structure I would use either angled slats to allow north light in and block west/afternoon sun or simple deciduous vine (grapes/wisteria) etc. Until that grows you put shade cloth on it.

I like the really nice gabled structures for the bigger area. Yes they are $$$ but it's a value add to your house. Imagine this :)

alfresco_9.jpg

Or you could go skillion to allow north light in

336804.jpg

nivoslide1.2.jpg

With my experience with drainage, guttering and roof plumbing, pciture 2 makes me want to run away.

Picture 3 is interesting!!

the west wall actually covers 4 rooms, 2x bed, 1x study, 1x games. All only have windows to the back yard, but I will swap the games room window to a door once there is a patio in place. Games room is south west corner.

I think you're right about having larger structure on south side of yard to let more light in.

Back