Destroying an investment plan 101

Hey guys,

I've had a pretty comical week, which I thought I'd share. I've spent the last three months evaluating some options for my next investment after spending the previous 6-9 months in another world due to a friend with cancer.

Anyways, so I've been saving madly, keeping an eye on the value of my other place and finally decide to make the most of no stamp duty on land in NSW and build a place. It has some other tax benefits for me which was the deciding factor between buying an older place or building.

Found a couple of blocks of land in the Newcastle/Lake Macquarie area online over the last couple of weeks, so planned on checking them out this weekend to try and get the ball rolling before I head to the US for work in a few weeks. At the same time last weekend I started having some problems with the brakes in the car. Despite being more than capable of doing what's needed myself, I sent it off to the dealer so as not to complicate the warranty situation.

They call me during the day 'the service, new brakes and pads will be $1850...and we've already started'. Hmm, oh well, it's a small setback. I was slightly more annoyed when seeing they charged $60.53 to change the front left head light bulb.

Anyway, life goes on. Next day, tooth caves in. Off to the dentist, few hundred dollars later we're all good to go.

So Saturday, hit the road to go see the blocks of land. Love two of them, but one is a better price so decide I'll have a crack at that one on Monday. 15 minutes later a semi-trailer drives over the front of my car. Hmm. That sucks, but the driver was a nice enough guy, and we exchange details. So then I call my insurance company which informs me I don't have a comprehensive policy with them...but I do. 10 minutes on hold, that situation is cleared up, so we go on with filing a claim. They then point out that they are provisionally deeming me as at fault, however an investigation team will look into it on Monday.

Long story but as we were both in turning lanes if we were trying to overtake the truck while it was turning we would be at fault - we weren't, we were rolling very slowly waiting for it to turn and still two car lengths back from the point at which you enter an intersection, but of course we moved out of the way instead of holding everyone up and calling the cops (who would only have come because it's a major intersection they'd have wanted cleared). Anyway I'm pretty confident that will sort itself out, but provisionally I'll be up for $1150 excess.

Is it all an omen? This one's not meant to be?

Ahh, I've got to laugh. Hope everyone else had a better week.

Cheers
Greg

Greg,

If you are going to stick your head up and have a go - expect all sorts of opposition. Nothing of greatness is achieved by living a comfortable life.

It is the coldest just before dawn. The trick is to stay in the game and see the breakthrough.

Most people quit at this point just when they are about to achieve a goal. Stick to the plan.

I call my insurance company which informs me I don't have a comprehensive policy with them...but I do. 10 minutes on hold, that situation is cleared up, so we go on with filing a claim. They then point out that they are provisionally deeming me as at fault, however an investigation team will look into it on Monday.

Ahhh...the ol' goldfish bowl treatment "we'll look into it for ya".

On Tuesday, when the team appointed is naturally instructed by their controlling solicitor with minimising the insurance company's financial exposure, thereby maximising your financial exposure, don't be surprised when you receive a lovely letter saying just that.

Sorry to hear that mate but you know what, I bought my car for ~6000 last July then had it written off in November the same year and ended up getting another 2nd hand car.

I saved madly as well you can imagine how I felt with that...............I think its all about comparison so cheer up

Back