IP destroyed by tenants

Hi Nixba,

If i remember correctly,geoffw sourced via binvested.

Bit like spanner but geoffw has a good sense of humour,i'm sure he'll see it through.

Cheers Spades.

Ps.Correct me if i'm wrong geoffw :)

That is why I don't buy residential anymore. Commercial, higher yield, tenant pays everything including council rates and insurance and water, six month bond and has a legal obligation to restore the premises when they vacate. Few months ago had a tenant did not pay 3 weeks, he came in next morning to find his shop chained up overnight, legally, no need for VCAT or good for nothing arbitrators. I had all my rent in cash that afternoon.

Resi crap i agree and law favors the tenants.Get the right CIP and your good to go.

I'm holding onto a lumpy mattress atm and considering all options.

Cheers Spades.

So many people must cringe when reading this, but I might go check all the clauses etc on my insurance one more time!

All the best!

asbestos, <snip>
store the furniture they left for 90 days

Might be worth calling Consumer affairs or whoever deals with it over there. If the furniture has been asbestos contaminated its not safe to handle/store....

Then again having it declared as such might cost you more in long run.

So many people must cringe when reading this, but I might go check all the clauses etc on my insurance one more time!

All the best!

Yes, please do check your insurance. I've discovered a couple more nasties that I NEVER would have thought tho check before.

Might be worth calling Consumer affairs or whoever deals with it over there. If the furniture has been asbestos contaminated its not safe to handle/store....

The furniture left in the house 'disappeared' a couple of days ago (or so I've been told ;) and handled in the correct manner of asbestos removal. Wasn't going to let it cost us even more money with storing it. Saying that most of it was broken and damaged any way. They clearly had no respect for their own things. TV thrown through the glass window, smashed ipads etc.

I'm curious, how would a tenant go about proving what furniture that they left in the property? I mean wouldn't it be your word against theirs. In the end could a landlord just discard anything left behind without waiting the 90 days.

OP, sorry to hear about your dramas. The tenants sound like a*holes. Hope you get through this.

I hope the agent has got the VCAT process underway, and listed them on the bad tenants data base. While trying to prove a criminal offence may be hard, and therefor you cannot get the police involved, run the civil action as far as you can. Also have the agent notify the "next of kin" that they had on the application, about what actions you are taking. I have had parents step up and pay for damages, to try to stop us "trashing" their daughters reputation. While we have had the "odd" bad situation over the years, however does sound not as bad as yours, however we have had success on the odd occasion going through the process. Once debt is lodged, we had had people come back to us years later, making payment, so that they can have their name cleared, as they have gotten their lives together, and want to buy a home and get a loan.

Can empathise with you as I have just gone through the whole tribunal/eviction process myself. Thank goodness I have a really good PM, who made it all so much easier to cope with. The tenant is now out and the clean up has begun.
During this stressful time, I did think that I might sell out, but given the potential for good CG in the short term, I've decided to give it one more roll of the dice and hopefully more than recover the costs of my last tenant.
Does leave a terrible taste in the mouth though and I definitely agree that a great tenant is much more valuable in the long run, than a great yield.
I sincerely hope we both have better luck next time .....cheers.

Hi All.
That's terrible xyz123. :mad: What a disgusting situation, only had a few of these myself and they all leave you wild and nauseous. Why the legislation doesn't cover house trashing I'll never know. It covers everything else in great detail, but that's just another example of the slant on the playing field.
The most important thing is to reinstate the property to rentable condition to reinstate your cash flow asap to minimise lost weeks.

Hope you don't mind my listing this here, I realise the horse has bolted but it's a painfully handy time to have a reminder and it might help anyone who doesn't know.
It's obvious that the tenant vetting procedures were either non-existent or inadequate but they clearly failed. People who behave like this have a negative history and it's up to the PM to uncover it while vetting, not use a try and see approach by using your property as the staging area.
The best insurance is avoidance, so vetting and tenant selection is everything. Tips you all probably know about vetting tenants.
1. Use a default tenancy database in the vetting process.
2. Look at the inside of the tenant's car during open house or inspection, your property will most likely look the same in 3 months.
3. Accept only references from another agent, trashers hide their history behind false private landlord references.
4. Gainfully employed tenants get preference.
4. Crap houses can only attract applications from bad tenants.

Cheers
crest133

Depending which state your in if you have the furniture valued at less than $1500 you can dispose of it. My agent just did this for a place in QLD.

I just chained another shop up. Guy wants to get back in. I said pay the outstanding rent, or I'll keep it chained up and take possession of all your stock.

Hi turk,

Different kettle of fish,don't you think?

There's a difference between the OP's misfortune in frangers and a tenant not paying rent to

Deltaberry.

I'm not looking to buy a Delta's CIP and you'll see a wink after firesale.

Got it now? :D

Back