Develop Underneath Queenslander

Hi Everyone,

I've just purchased a Queenslander in East Brisbane.

One of the things that attracted me was the legal height of raising of the house.

It already has steel beams, metal poles. There's a rainwater tank and hot water service which can be moved easily.

Only a car's size has been concreted with the rest of the area being gravel.

I'm considering developing below to add a self containing floor with 2-3 bedrooms.

I understand the concrete base will not be cheap ~$25K, probably need council permits ~$5K.

A few questions:

1) Above is a 3 bedroom two bathroom residence, average sized Queenslander. What's the rough cost to develop below in total?

2) I've heard this may not be something I could do in the first place as I may not be able to rent out both floors separately?

Thanks in advance for all the advice!

Cheers,

Michael.

Couple of other thing to consider is

Need to be separately power metered, to get it separate metered you will need to get council approval granny flat before ENERGEX will connect it.
Other option is to pay the power bill or get solar Power.

Needs 2 water heaters who pays this bill if only one.

There has been a couple of cases that the tenant have complained that they are getting charged for power that the other apartment uses. Was found that both apartments were not completely seprate both tenants got all money they paid towards power back.

Common area will need to be maintained by owner.

Back