Developing residence on back of retail

2.9m- that's very narrow.

If there was potential, you would probably be better off not posting specifics on the forum. I have seen cases where somebody posted just some generics about a property he was buying, and found several forum members bidding against him.

oops, thanks for the heads up Geoff! I'll be more discreet in the future. Too late for this one though, so comrades please leave this one to me because it's going to make me a lot of money!

As per Geoffw, a very narrow site so if you did try to develop an upstairs, you wouldn't be able to achieve any windows down the sides as you haven't got any space for setbacks from boundaries.

This generally would be a difficult site to develop any further but you could seek inspiration from overseas examples of developing very small and narrow sites.

Development at Shop Rear

Recommend taking what the agent tells you as "sales puff". The agents objective is to sell the property for the vendor to collect the highest commission as quickly as possible. To do this some agents may stretch the truth with regards to what can & can not be done to a site.

Keep in mind that with regards to "sales puff" almost anything is possible with enough $$$ & time. Thats one of the functions of the Land & Environment Court; to test whats permissible.

Unless you have deep pockets, recommend focusing on what's permissible.

Many commercial sites do not allow mixed use (i.e. commercial + residential) or multi lots (strata or Torrens). Not sure what you have in mind here.

You need to check the properties zoning & have a look at the local authority's (Councils) DCP & LEP to see whats permissible.

While it may be possible to create small lots on an existing site, its very important to work out what the market needs (demand), what other alternatives are (supply), how much it will cost to the supply the product & what the return will be.

Some creatives have created strata lots of 1-2m2 for ATM machines then sold them as a going concern / investment. I've seen cigar & wine storage strata lots proposed which are even smaller.

Bottom line is to do you own research. And as previously pointed out it's best to keep specific sites you are interested in purchasing to yourself while you do your due diligence.

Something else to think about for this property is the long term viability of this sort of property. In many parts of Sydney- I don't know about Sydney- strip retail is in decline, with many shops sitting empty.

A very narrow shop like this one will be at the bottom of the pile for strip shops.

You also need to consider that if you built a narrow residence at the rear who is going to lose parking? I assume it would be the shop and I assume they are paying rent based on use of the whole parking + storage + courtyard + shop. So they'd want a reduction in rent and may in fact leave if they can't park at their shop or be able to accept deliveries from the rear lane etc.

Going up on top of the existing garage would be a possibility if you didn't want to offer the residence parking.

It really depends on the council though and getting things through council takes a wing and a prayer. You need to talk to the Council and get their informaiton on the zoning of the block and how you could change it to mixed if it isn't and then how ammenable they are to increasing the density of the lot

Back