Development Investment. Here's my dilemma!

Grab a coffee. I need to talk. This site can be so depressing for us wannabes.

Well, I'm 3 years off retirement and have about $400,000 cash to show for it and a house hocked to the hilt to the business both of which are losing value as I am in a small country town. The business keeps a roof over our heads, a normal wage, and not much else (hence the house debt). No room for finance dancing there! In fact, it's quite demoralising, but hubby psychologically needs to take the briefcase to work every day and come home. He's of the opinion that we can't be overdrawn because I still have cheques left in the book. :). Love him, but there you go..... Had about $60,000 in Babcock and Brown shares so we won't go there. But I'm now frustrated....frustrated.....did I mention frustrated? And panicked. I want to own my own home, and have at least $3-500,000 invested for retirement. So here's my last gasp. It's either gonna work or I'll be living in a Caravan for the rest of my life.

So we've seen this 8,500 sq metre property in Brisbane South (in an uniquely gentle area reminiscent of squire ownership, but on the wrong side of the highway some RE guy told me) with a house on it that we can relate to. Oh boy! The 60's decor may come back...but I digress. Council says we can subdivide x 4 @ 2,000sq mt each. I have a sentimental attachment to this area as we lived there many years ago. And I'm not even British, but am a country girl so like my space. This property gives it.

The seller is 101 not out and wants to move North to daughter. He's had a contract for $950,000 that fell through. I would say he's negotiable, but then I remember my old Dad still giving the kids 20c for their pocket money and on the other hand thinking his property was worth a gazillion.

My plan

Check the banks and see if they'll even look at us. Could REALLY do with some innovative ideas here. We gonna have to go low doc and I believe they want to see my last four BAS to see if I'm a really good girl and pay my BAS on time, plus gauge my capacity or whatever.

If all that pans out then, get a valuation on property to submit an offer based on finance, building/pest inspection, and what else?

In the meantime do DD with a pheasibility study on selling the blocks that will see us with the original house plus plot (prefer 1 but may have to be 2 becauses of the straddling factor, but hell, I can knock down walls) and keep our $400,000 in tact for us to invest.

In my pheasibility, apart from the developing costs, I will be looking at what 2000 sqm sells for. It seems to me on this investigation that size doesn't really matter, and that 1 or 2,000 sq mt is gonna be roughly the same.

So I guess, I'm asking (I feel better now :)) What has been your experience in short term subdivision of land, and is it worth it?

kudos for the post.

find a good mortgage broker - plenty on here.

but you didn't mention what you plan to do with the site once purchased....buy and hold, develop and sell, develop and rent?

maybe you should look more towards something income producing like commercial real estate - that way your debts are covered with the incoming cash and you can take a load off....?

dunno specifics - but it sounds like you need to cut loose the heavy strings.

I'm so sorry - we don't mean to be depressing......:eek:

Couple things that didn't click for me:

You have $400k cash - is that sitting in an offset for your home?

You say 3 years from retirement - what does this mean? (I'm not trying to be a smart alec -just trying to understand what "retirement" means to you - i.e. to spend less time in business?)

For me, your plan would scare the living daylights out of me.... but that's because I have no experience in subdivisions etc, and would not be willing to try to pull a near $1mill deal given the current frustrations etc

I would probably play safe and go the small deals - not go seeking the "magic bullet" - but that's just me.

On the other hand, I would take a serious look at your business, and see how to improve revenue, profits, valuation (in case you are thinking of selling it)

Cheers,

The Y-man

I'd take the tact of The Y-man - you need to take a really global (ie, everything in your life) point of view first, and make sure that this idea fits in properly. Maybe I'm a touch more conservative, but I like to know that everything is right and doing what it can.

Short term SD's can work well, but it's all in the buying. Buy well, you're there. Someone told me once when I was young - you make your profit when you buy - and it's so true. Get that wrong, no amount of fancy footwork will save you. A simple land SD can be straight forward, but it still takes a stack of work. The more background homework you can do, the better off you will be. Outside of the buying, the next thing that either gives you a win or a loss are surprises - and that leads to doing more background work.

Keep posting, there are plenty of brains on here to help!

FS

Yep Y-Man, I am indeed looking for the magic bullet. If I do the sums correctly, I'm surely hoping that will happen. All guts, and I hope what follows is the glory. Actually, sound quite manic, don't I?! But this stuff happens every day if I read this forum correctly. Now don't think me stupid and naive. I'm a degreed lady, and have followed property for many years, not doing too much actively, but what I have done has profited. This development is a new kettle of fish for me. Not to mention at a risky time. But then, no guts, no glory.

So, Blue Card I did ring a broker today who recommended the Cwealth Bank as being the most supportive. So I also thought I might ring the CBank to see if they could provide me with a list of property valuers they use given I live 1400ks away. She gave me that info, thanks a lot, then interestingly, she said to me, if you go through a broker, if you ever want to make changes to the property, you would need to go back through the broker to do so. Righteo. Commenwealth Bank not too friendly to Brokers?

To continue. I do want to develop and immediately sell. I can't afford to hold. I don't have the income. So, this project is not a long term idea. It is "magic bullet". So in my myopic view of me in 12 months time is....we own a house, and we have $400,000 in the bank, and we are retired. (Take another tablet, you say?:)

Now YMan I think you may be a young buck. My $400,000 is a recent acquisition of sold property that we believed was not putting us where we wanted to be. That is, free from debt at 65 with more than a few bucks in the bank. We are now trying to engineer that. Not interested in being a grey nomad....god forbid! Jeez but don't I hate sand aqnd the wild blue yonder!.

I no longer have the time left to sit and hold. It is do or die, now or never. Once I'm settled, I may dabble. But, we girls will always need our nest.

Thank you FinSpec, I think you know where I am coming from. I'm working on a buy that will work for both parties, but more specifically for me. I will be renting the house out for 2 years. I believe the bank only incorporoate 60% of that rental income. It may be, given the owners age, they may like to take their time to move out and pay interim rent, and that works for me. Man, I'm flat out doing the washing every week and now expecting some 90 year old to pack up their house? Too kind for that. Do you know, there is some connection going on here with this thing that I can't really explain. I think it will work vis a vis contract, but I suspect it will be the bank that will be the most pain in the **** given we are are low doc loan type people.

"Battlers", phfftt......mate......emotion? I plan to be carried out in a box from this property. Yep. It's pretty emotionally invested on the one hand, on the other??????

Can I just go back to my original post. If you have done short term development. How has it worked for you? What should I be aware of, that you have learned?

First of all, don't get depressed get inspired!

This development is a new kettle of fish for me. Not to mention at a risky time.

I can't afford to hold. I don't have the income. So, this project is not a long term idea. It is "magic bullet".

I suggest you keep reading these 2 phrases over and over and over...

A question for you:
How many "magic bullets" did you see on this forum?
Please post the links to them.

Well, I'm 3 years off retirement and have about $400,000 cash to show for it and a house hocked to the hilt to the business both of which are losing value as I am in a small country town. The business keeps a roof over our heads, a normal wage, and not much else (hence the house debt). No room for finance dancing there! In fact, it's quite demoralising, but hubby psychologically needs to take the briefcase to work every day and come home. He's of the opinion that we can't be overdrawn because I still have cheques left in the book. :). Love him, but there you go..... Had about $60,000 in Babcock and Brown shares so we won't go there. But I'm now frustrated....frustrated.....did I mention frustrated? And panicked. I want to own my own home, and have at least $3-500,000 invested for retirement. So here's my last gasp. It's either gonna work or I'll be living in a Caravan for the rest of my life.

So we've seen this 8,500 sq metre property in Brisbane South (in an uniquely gentle area reminiscent of squire ownership, but on the wrong side of the highway some RE guy told me) with a house on it that we can relate to. Oh boy! The 60's decor may come back...but I digress. Council says we can subdivide x 4 @ 2,000sq mt each. I have a sentimental attachment to this area as we lived there many years ago. And I'm not even British, but am a country girl so like my space. This property gives it.

The seller is 101 not out and wants to move North to daughter. He's had a contract for $950,000 that fell through. I would say he's negotiable, but then I remember my old Dad still giving the kids 20c for their pocket money and on the other hand thinking his property was worth a gazillion.

My plan

Check the banks and see if they'll even look at us. Could REALLY do with some innovative ideas here. We gonna have to go low doc and I believe they want to see my last four BAS to see if I'm a really good girl and pay my BAS on time, plus gauge my capacity or whatever.

If all that pans out then, get a valuation on property to submit an offer based on finance, building/pest inspection, and what else?

In the meantime do DD with a pheasibility study on selling the blocks that will see us with the original house plus plot (prefer 1 but may have to be 2 becauses of the straddling factor, but hell, I can knock down walls) and keep our $400,000 in tact for us to invest.

In my pheasibility, apart from the developing costs, I will be looking at what 2000 sqm sells for. It seems to me on this investigation that size doesn't really matter, and that 1 or 2,000 sq mt is gonna be roughly the same.

So I guess, I'm asking (I feel better now :)) What has been your experience in short term subdivision of land, and is it worth it?
That's quite a large block and depending on the location,the only questions i would ask is,where does the house sit in relation to way you split the blocks and can the house sit on on the new blocks without a 50k
reset costs,if there is any fibro in the place then it has to all stripped out and reset,roof plumbing-elec's- what "Total"costs per block to split that would be the big question what's a block worth next door or down the road,good luck willair..

You need to be sure of all your costings eg GST, council fees, surveyor, costs to provide services, holding costs.

Do your due diligence and make sure there are building sites and the land is not contaminated or flood prone.

If this is so good why hasn't someone in Brisbane snapped it up?

If you're keen on small scale development can you do something around where you are - easier to manage than 1400 km away

Back