Developments using a HDT - Capital Gain via different mechanisms?

I have an “interesting” HDT problem. My wife and I are trustees of a HDT. To keep the post readable, below is a somewhat simplified version of what happened.

a. HDT decided to purchase an old IP and rent it out. HDT obtained the funds to buy the IP by issuing SIUs to me.
b. SIU holder (me, the high income earner) provided 100% of the funds to acquire the asset. All nett rental income then went to the SIU holder, per trust deed. Interest payments were deductible.
c. HDT saw an opportunity to add value by demolishing the old house and building three new townhouses on the site. HDT beneficiaries (mainly my wife) carried out market analysis and feasibility study to confirm the numbers will work. The HDT issued further SIUs to fund construction costs.
d. Same SIU holder (me) provided 100% of the funds needed for construction.
e. Project completed successfully in late 2004, with numbers greatly exceeding feasibility values (coincided with early part of boom in Perth)
f. Since completion, capital growth has been quite high, largely due to high capital growth in Perth in the years 2004-2006.

My view is that the capital gain is attributable to two different “mechanisms”:

1. Increase in value of the unimproved land (in line with how the particular market performed in the area where the land is located) e.g. about 25% pa over last few years.
2. Increase due to value added by developing new properties — this would be a substantial contribution to increase in value as it included very high growth period (2004-2006 in Perth).

The “interesting” problem I was referring to relates to apportioning capital gain on redemption of the SIUs in the future. I believe it is clear that the SIU holder should benefit from CG attributable to the first mechanism above (conventional “natural” growth). But the key question which I’m struggling to answer is: Should the SIU holder benefit from the CG attributable to the second mechanism? The following points need to be considered.

1. The intention behind the HDT’s decision to add value by developing was that HDT (discretionary) beneficiaries (children ++) will benefit in the future from the value-adding exercise.
2. The initial idea, concept, subsequent development approval, project management and execution expertise was provided mainly by my wife (she was full time on this from initial IP search to completion of development), and myself to a much smaller extent (too busy at the day job--I helped mainly by adding a stern voice when I thought it was needed with recalcitrant tradies—didn’t help much!).

I feel the SIU holder (ignore the fact that it is me) is not entitled to claim benefit for the ideas and work of the HDT -- the HDT trustees are charged with the job of operating the trust in the best interests of the beneficiaries? Has anyone else on the forum used a HDT in this manner (or a UT/HDT combination)?

You have a whole mix of legal, equitable and taxation issues that would probably cost a lot of money in advice to pursue this line of reasoning.

Legal:

Trustee is sole legal owner, holds property on trust for SIU holders.
Articles, improvements attached to the property become part of the original property.

Equitable:

Non-unit holders do not have an "interest" in trust property.
Does the Trustee have the power to create another interest in lieu of effort contributed ?

Tax:

If the Trustee is able to issue extra units then are you able to still claim deductions for your original SIUs ?
Are you arguing that the capital improvement is a separate CGT asset.
Are you arguing that part of the capital cost has been paid by your wife's effort.
Could the Commissioner argue this is merely a private or domestic issue.
If commercial, could the Commissioner argue your wife rendered services and should pay income tax on the consideration received ?
Would the trust or your wife be regarded as carrying on a business of development ?
Would the Commissioner regard this as a CGT splitting exercise as per the recent alert ? (Especially as your property may have suddenly become positively geared).

I don't have a good feeling about this one. I hope the advice you get is thorough - which probably won't be cheap !!!

Cheers,

Rob

It would cost you $3,500 from a lawyer to get an answer to those questions.

Anyway, good luck on your private binding ruling application. I look forward to seeing the results.

Back