dirt mounds and ac issues

hi there

my pm emailed me and has said that the tenant has reported "dirt mounds in trees" i have no idea what these r , r they termites? i googled it and couldnt find anything...also... the ac unit in the house is turning itself off automatcaly, do they call a sparky or a ac tech? i am thinking that this is going to be pricey any tips?

Dirt mounds... if large, termite nest perhaps, if small then probably borers workings... worth getting a pesty in to look at it.

Photo-of-Month-Kookaburra-in-termite-nest.jpg

Aircon turning off... do they have the timer mode set? :)

Aircon turning off... do they have the timer mode set? :)

Are you sure it is not the thermostat cutting in & out (and operating efficiently)? That is, if they have set the temp to 24 deg it should reach this quite easily, if it is set too low ie 16 deg it will struggle to get down that low and not cut off so it will run all night/day. Alternatively, it could be set to heat and reaching the temperature very quickly.

It is a job for the air conditioning mech but it is not an emergency maintenance issue.

Are you sure it is not the thermostat cutting in & out (and operating efficiently)? That is, if they have set the temp to 24 deg it should reach this quite easily, if it is set too low ie 16 deg it will struggle to get down that low and not cut off so it will run all night/day. Alternatively, it could be set to heat and reaching the temperature very quickly.

It is a job for the air conditioning mech but it is not an emergency maintenance issue.

It was my belief it is now an urgent maintenance issue
http://intranet.tenants.org.au/print/fs06.pdf

This would surely be covered under a failure or breakdown of any essential service for hot water, cooking, heating, cooling or laundering. Having said that I would agree with your summation - sounds like either on a timer or the compressor cutting in and out to me - and if it is any tradesperson sent to the property to inspect the issue if there is nothing wrong should be charged to the tenant. I would get the PM to clarify exactly what the situation is and ensure the tenants have a copy of the operating book associated with the AC so that cannot be used as an excuse as to why they can't operate it effectively.

Back