Disappointing auction result

I had a really funny Situation Just recently.
We'd been visiting many many open houses and decided to view one that was out of our budget listed at $440.
http://www.brisbanerealestate.com.au/property/3765444
Liked the place as it was fairly new, so made a verbal offer of $370k, lowball i know, but Agent was keen for "any offer"

So the Missus as women sometimes do :) falls in love with the place, Agent was a bit slow to get contract etc to us and when we had signed and given it back we heard very little, Now the apartment was due for Auction on the 10th so we put a valid until clause in for the Thursday before the Sat Auction, and said that we wouldn't be buying at auction.
We then made another offer of $372k on another property listed at $460k ( Failed to sell at auction, 3 bed, 2 bath,1 car reno'd in 2005) so retracted our offer from the first place.
Contract was signed by both parties for the second property on the 9th, 1 day before the Auction of the first property.

I decided to go to the auction incase there was some crazy lowball offers being floated around and to gloat about the property we had signed on.
Long story short 4 RE and 1 Auctioneer and 45 minutes of awkward conversation.
No-one else had even turned up, so they ask if I was still interested, I say for the right price maybe, they then go on to tell me offers of over $400k will be considered, now I had to laugh as I had a signed contract for a much better property 122m2 vs 89m2, even showed them the brochure and a copy of the signed contract.

They couldn't get their heads around this and kept asking if I wanted to make an offer on the property, I was honestly dumbfounded.
I did have a private chucke to myself as I had advised the RE early on that based on visitors at the Open houses(yea we attended all of them) that we would likely be the only ones at auction.

Looks like the place is off the market(well realestate.com.au anyway)
It is a pretty crazy market at the moment, some don't want to believe its bad, some are fighting it and others are just resigned to the fact that they may get offers of 100K less than listed price.
If I had the money I would buy another property!

Back