Dishwasher included in rent?

Hi all,

Is it now standard practice to include a dishwasher in a rental these days?

I'm looking at a place to rent in Castle Hill - 12 year old detached villa, and it has a space for a dishwasher, but no actual dishwasher.

I know most older places don't have a space for a dishwasher and thus would find it hard to accommodate, but for something that's not 5+ decades old? :confused:

i have a 1960's unit. had a dishwasher when i bought it that wasnt working. just took it out, left the hole. doesnt seem to be an issue.

Nothing is standard

You can add it or you can leave it out

Pros of having a dishwasher include easier to find tenant, less tenant turnover and marginal if any increase rent.

Cons of having a dishwasher include maintenance, increase water usage and electricity charge to tenant

Same applies to air conditioning, fly screens, alarms etc.

Issue we have had where there was a space for a dishwasher is the tenants then badly fitting their own dishwasher in the space.

In one instance they even changed the sink as although a space was left for a dishwasher one of the sink bowls intruded into the space.

I didn't discover the sink issue until the tenants were well and truly gone with me pondering the badly fitted 'new' sink which 'just' didn't actually fit the hole in the bench top.

The other aspect of self installed dishwasher is that the tenant picked it up cheap and is generally no longer working on vacating the premises. Another thing for the LL to dispose of.

So if you have a space for the dishwasher fill it with a cupboard;):D

Cheers

no not the original kitchen, its woodgrain tastic now.

literally there is just a hole there now with the bench over it - they use it as storage.

Both of my IPs have Dish Washers, but that to them is a bonus really....

Other than filling an ugly hole if it wasnt there i dont think there is much bonus to me for letting them use it.

My wife and I are turned off the idea of NOT having a dishwasher in the places we rent. Call us Gen-Y, call us lazy... whatever. It's a convenience that we've grown used to.

All of my rentals have dishwashers... I even asked our property manager when we were moving out of our PPOR if we should take or leave the dishwasher... "Leave it... most tenants expect a dishwasher these days". *shrug* Might have just been the area we were living in.

Back