DIY: Fitting Window Air Conditioners.

Hi there.

Thought I'd share some useful tips on fitting Window aircons to houses.

I got a glazier to fit mine in the recent reno I did. It cost me $150 a pop. Cash.

So I watched VERY closely and it didn't look too hard. I tried it at my own home, and here's how it went:

First, measure the A/c and ensure it fits within one of the window panes.

If it doesn't you may be able to put it in the Open section of the window, and close the window up tight against it, filling the above space with plywood (painted same colour as wall)

This looks not so good, so if you can fit it in the fixed pane (abutting the Sill) you've got a better chance.

Aluminum windows:

First pull the rubber wedge strip out of the pane where the a/c will go with a small screwdriver, using glass cleaner if it needs lubrication.

Second, pull the glass out, best to have a helper on the outside, pushing (gently) towards the inside with their palm. Push against them and slide the glass up and sideways.

Glass usually comes out towards the INSIDE.

Gently place the glass aside for later. Remove 2 Y/o son from room.

Cut lengths plywood or similar the same length as the airconditioner, and width of the sill and stack them on the sill until they match the height of the aluminum window frame. Make them slightly higher (1 - 2mm ).

Screw them into the sill solidly.

Paint them if required - I did. Remove 2 y/o son from paint.

Stick a piece of the sticky foam rubber sealing strip down to the aluminum/wood support for sealing underneath the aircon.

In my case I had to now:
Remove the case of the aircon and carefully place the front of aircon on the wooden support, with the back of the aircon facing out the window butting up to the wall side of the window (leave small gap on this side - about 5 mm), and then screw down through the bottom of the base into the support you just made.

*NB - drill pilot holes through the metal base first, it will be easier when using self tapping screws in the wood, but not in the metal!.
**NB2 - some aircons, you screw the case down , and slide the middle of the aircon back in, depends on the model.

If necessary, put a wedge of something under the base of the a/c on the brick sill outside, to support the aircon.

Now you have an aircon, with the front inside the window, flush or slightly recessed from the wall. It may take up about 3/4 of the window. It will be almost butted up to one side, and have a larger gap the other side.

The top half of the pane will be open to the air now also.

Put the case back on the air con (that's what the 5mm gap on the side was for) and fit the sticky rubber foam strip supplied with the aircon to exactly butt up to the aluminum frame.

To fill the large gap on the side of the aircon, and above it, we'll need the sheet of glass. Tremble.

Measure the width of gap next to the aircon (minus about 4 mm), and the height of the aircon. This is one piece of glass. Remove glass shards from floor, and 2 y/o from room, and try again.

Measure the height of the gap above the aircon (minus about 4 mm).

Cut a piece off the glass carefully to the height of the gap above the aircon (minus 4mm) and the width of the original glass.

Now cut a piece the width of the gap next to the aircon (minus 4mm) and the height of the piece that's left (should = height of aircon).

Remove triangular shards of glass and chuck in the bin. Look up glazier.

Now you have two pieces of perfectly cut glass.

Carefully fit the one next to the aircon, using the rubber wedge strip you took out originally, and the foam rubber sealing strip supplied with the a/c.

Now gingerly fit the glass above the a/c using the wedge again, and the foam sealing strip on the top of the a/c only.

you should now have a TINY strip gap between the glass beside the a/c and the glass above the a/c.

Fill this with clear silicone and trim off with a razor.

For how to cut glass go to google or
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/knowhow/repair/article/0,16417,636058,00.html
(subscription)

Or better still "G for glazier" Take the original pane in and get them to cut it.

Cutting glass is not easy. Clean the glass first! Score once! break with single, fluid motion.

Lastly, plug the a/c in and enjoy.

Gotchas:
Horizontal venetians: Leave room in front of the a/c to ensure the blinds go to the base of the sill.

cutting glass is not easy. esp thick (6mm +) glass
I have a boxful of triangular bits of sharp glass, and ended up getting a glazier cut me some new bits. However $17 instead of $150 is a fair savings!.

Back