Do i invest in Geraldton WA

can anyone tell me if Geraldton is worth investing in. I am going up they this thursday to have a look at a block in webberton. I have no idea what the place is like what sort of rent it will yeild when i do build on it or if all the hype about the place is true. From my research the oakajee port is in doubt and with the square mile array they now cant guarrenttee 100km of radio silence which could cost us to loose it to south africa. I have tried doing reseach on average rent in the area but dont come back with any up to date infomation. There are alot of question marks in the equation. Could anyone please help me out in filling the blanks

I have spent some time up there and know the area reasonably well for a tourist :)
We are still the front runners for the SKA. The port is getting delayed, there is too much mining for it to be completely scrapped. I think it will just take a bit longer and more $$ than expected.

They are doing alot in Gero even without these 2 projects, property prices will still continue to rise.... I think the past 10 years has averaged 12-13% per year growth.

I keep an eye on it, its definitely a buyers market at the moment with some decent bargains around. You can get the normal 5% yields, there is some bad areas to avoid though (rangeway etc) although you can get 6-7% yields if you want to risk it....

It depends what you are wanting the property to do for you.

Remember, investing in property is not about the property. The property is merely the vehicle to get you from your A to your B destination.

Do you know what your B is?

Then ask yourself based on your due diligense, will acquiring this vehicle (the property) take you to your B destination.

I hope this helps.

Hi Young Investor- just so you know Webberton is an industrial area adjoining Spalding which is an area to pretty much avoid. My advice is to stick to the southern suburbs or central. What type of property are you looking to invest in- you mentioned a block- did you want to build an IP or sell as a speccie? Just make sure you do your sums very closely as it is expensive to build here-there may be some real value in buying existing props. Mount Tarcoola, Tarcoola Beach and Wandina are your safest bets for suburbs- let me know if you need any more info

I've been looking at investments property in Traralgon VIC if your open minded about location.
Terry Ryder at hotspotting is recommending the Latrobe valley as a growth area due to the massive upcoming investment boom in new clean coal energy for Victoria.

Margaret Lomas has been recommending Traralgon in particular as it is the economic hub of the area. Growth has been very consistent in this area without the fluctuations of mining towns or even CBD property.

Here are two Ive been considering:
1st one $230's - $290pw rent - depreciation of a new unit: example

2nd one: This ones a bit dearer and probably the wrong side of the train line, but still new and existing (dont want off the plan) and therefore has good depreciation: example

I've been looking at investments property in Traralgon VIC if your open minded about location.
Terry Ryder at hotspotting is recommending the Latrobe valley as a growth area due to the massive upcoming investment boom in new clean coal energy for Victoria.

Margaret Lomas has been recommending Traralgon in particular as it is the economic hub of the area. Growth has been very consistent in this area without the fluctuations of mining towns or even CBD property.

Here are two Ive been considering:
1st one $230's - $290pw rent - depreciation of a new unit: example

2nd one: This ones a bit dearer and probably the wrong side of the train line, but still new and existing (dont want off the plan) and therefore has good depreciation: example

I get the inkling that you are trying to direct people to properties that you own.

Like you've tried to do here - http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74543&highlight=traralgon

Lets keep it on topic rather than derail a thread.

Maybe I'm just a little cynical about your motives....

Rooster

I think Gero looks good, there are a number of big projects on the horizon. This one made the news recently http://www.newsmaker.com.au/news/13325

I thought about a good strategy for low income investors in Gero, first buy a few shacks in the west end, they are lease hold and will go down in value, but at 100k a pop can be massively CF+

Use this cashflow to get your servicability up and buy propper green titled IPs and sell the west end shacks after the boom for probably a small hit.

Last edited:
Back