Do these marketing tactics really work?

So, there is a Holden ad on tv, they have a RED PLATE sale.

Any car in their yard with a red plate is a great deal. They have made it easy for the shopper to spot the deals, thanks Holden!

What about the cars without the red plate, are they just a rip off?

Does anyone fall for this rubbish?

How do you know its a rip off? Do you know the numbers? maybe the red plate ones are discounted and the non red plates arent.

It all comes down to how badly they want to sell cars. I've gotten some really good deals on new cars over the years by asking the dealership how the deal can be done to make things cheaper. You be surprised how much wiggle room there is if you're willing to take a vehicle that is in stock, for example.

Any car in their yard with a red plate is a great deal. They have made it easy for the shopper to spot the deals, thanks Holden!

Hey these sales are fun - pop in Friday night and paint all plates red it's a hell of a laugh the next day.

I am totally immune to any form of advertising. None of it will inspire me to buy anything.

Mind you, when I am ready to buy something, I will look out for the specials if any.

This has taken a lot of years of discipline to achieve of course.

In regards to cars, buying a brand new car - even on special - is financially not a good move (exception for some exotic makes).

Yer basic passenger car is better bought when it is about 1 year old or so.

Why?

1. Someone has already taken the depreciation hit for you (yeah; you can get that as a business deduction if you have a business), so you save thousands.

2. It is still under warranty, so you enjoy what's left of the useless piece of paper.

3. Most cars these days are still virtually brand new in terms of condition etc even after 1 or even 2 years of use (unless flogged by some idiot/hoon).

I doubt the red plate deal is actually doing you a favour, and always look for cars around 18 months old, ex-demo etc.

I am totally immune to any form of advertising. None of it will inspire me to buy anything.

Mind you, when I am ready to buy something, I will look out for the specials if any.

This has taken a lot of years of discipline to achieve of course.

In regards to cars, buying a brand new car - even on special - is financially not a good move (exception for some exotic makes).

Yer basic passenger car is better bought when it is about 1 year old or so.

Why?

1. Someone has already taken the depreciation hit for you (yeah; you can get that as a business deduction if you have a business), so you save thousands.

2. It is still under warranty, so you enjoy what's left of the useless piece of paper.

3. Most cars these days are still virtually brand new in terms of condition etc even after 1 or even 2 years of use (unless flogged by some idiot/hoon).

I doubt the red plate deal is actually doing you a favour, and always look for cars around 18 months old, ex-demo etc.

This is good advice generally, but there are a couple of exceptions:
1) Performance cars, even inexpensive ones, I buy new, because I know previous owners bought them for a reason...
2) Very cheap new cars are good to buy new because they don't actually change much in price over the first couple of years, but you get the full warranty and know they have been treated well.

Back