Do we serve notice to evict if tenant is late for the 2nd month in a row?

I think that there is something which precludes getting direct debit over the tenant's account (under the act) but setting up a direct credit is simply a matter of the tenant advising the bank (or doing it on the net). There is no reason why if like most people they get paid into the bank, to arrange a periodic transfer so the agent has even less to do.

Why don't you just set it up as Direct Debit?

I wondered the same thing; if I had to pay bills manually, I'm afraid that more than just the rent would be late. :eek:

I tried to set it up through their system, and it didn't work because of their system. Ended up having to chase them to take the rent, finally I was requested to wire it every month.

In fact I joined Sommersoft to ask about this very problem - here's the thread:)
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71816

Cheers

Rather than direct debit you can use the automatic payment option that most banks have in internet banking. That way you still have control of it.

Rather than direct debit you can use the automatic payment option that most banks have in internet banking. That way you still have control of it.

Yep this is what I use, a hell of a lot easier I think.

Perp, I like your idea of prepaying bils in regular small instalments.

That's what I meant.

I have X amount being paid to Y real estate every fortnight.

The only way this can change is if I go in to the online banking website and change the amount.

Just as an update on the situation for your enjoyment-

Around Christmas the tenants requested sliding flyscreen doors (the house does have evaporative cooling and therefore needs doors or windows open). I asked the PM to organise a quote and was considering installing the cheaper option for the tenants when surprise - the tenant has again shortpaid the rent this month!

Subsequently the email was sent back to the PM stating that we will not be considering any requests unless the tenant can pay rent in full and on time.

I just don't quite understand the nerve of some people to request for extra additions when they are unable to commit to their own obligations!

At least it is almost beer o'clock!

Just as an update on the situation for your enjoyment-

Around Christmas the tenants requested sliding flyscreen doors (the house does have evaporative cooling and therefore needs doors or windows open). I asked the PM to organise a quote and was considering installing the cheaper option for the tenants when surprise - the tenant has again shortpaid the rent this month!

Subsequently the email was sent back to the PM stating that we will not be considering any requests unless the tenant can pay rent in full and on time.

I just don't quite understand the nerve of some people to request for extra additions when they are unable to commit to their own obligations!

At least it is almost beer o'clock!

I think that is perfectly understandable.

How long is their lease?

If the short payment continues on a regular basis I would not be renewing the lease that's for sure. A late payment or two is understandable especially around this time of year but if it is a habit then there is no excuse really - let them find some other poor landlord to annoy :D

I always get an initial 6 month lease with new tenants so that if they are unreliable I don't have to put up with them for too long. The costs of moving after only being in a house for 6 months should be a lesson to pay rent in full and on time each month.

As unfortunate as it sounds, my experience is it is best to serve every notice as soon as you are allowed to as per the Tenancies Act (including eviction notices).

If you let it slip, don't be surprised when you are left with 2-3 months of rent owing, a bond that doesn't cover 1/3rd of it (after you deduct cleaning and re-letting fees) and a phone call with your tenant insurance company about 'accidental vs malicious damage'. Happens every day.

I'm not some mega company that can afford stuff like that.

Some people just think of rent as an optional expense, to come after TVs and other junk.

I treat my tenants with full respect by fulfilling all of my obligations (and over and above my obligations - including immediate response to 'non-essential' repairs) and I demand the same in return.

Firm but fair - it's good business.

If they think it's a bad deal there are plenty others who will happily pay the rents on time.

In your case I would serve notices immediately, and get a PM with balls. No need to think anything further of it.

The only time I would consider otherwise is in the case of a good tenant I have a good relationship with (i.e. a long history of paying on time - which in this case you don't have).

Back