Do you buy your new tenants a gift?

Do you buy your new tenants a gift?

• Yes

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 31 75.6%

• Total voters
Old posts never die. Like wine given to tenants, they just mature, and wait until opened, when they can be truly appreciated :D

Now that my flock of bats has exchanged, I have had one tenant who has spat the dummy, and complained about intrusions. That tenant is leaving soon.

The other tenants will be receiving a couple of bottles of wine.

When I moved into my house, the builder left a small gift of coffee/tea sachets, with sugar and milk. With a note about helping us to make a cup of coffee when we had just moved in, and could maybe not find all our pieces. The gesture was appreciated, and obviously, 13+ years after we moved in, remembered.

to those who don't give gifts because it's "business": in business it's very common to send occasional gifts to clients to thank them for continuing business etc...
so i think you are looking at it from the wrong end ;)

The poll is closed, but yes, we left our new tenants a very nice bottle of red wine with a kind note about how to use the dishwasher and 5 self- addressed triple-stamped envelopes to send any mail on (we'd paid to have it forwarded by the post office, but you never know i guess) - the PM was quite excited about the wine- turns out she's never seen that happen before!

Has not resulted in them paying their rent on time (2 weeks late)....and not a letter from them either (but there may be no need, could have all been sent on by post office).......I have seen no benefit as of yet........

We were thinking of giving them a X-mas time gift (movie or restuarant vouchers), but with the rent always being late.......the bottle of wine was obviously no help :D .....we're undecided....I know as tenants ourselves, we would certainly appreciate it!!

Cheers,
Jen

Don't waste money trying to suck up to tennants.
If they're good tennants who do the right thing, then they are only doing what their lease obliged them to do. Be happy.
If they are the type who will eventually fall behind/damage your place etc. then no gift will make any difference anyway.
A sign of goodwill?
When was the last time you got gifts FROM your tennants?

I always organise a "neighbours Xmas" in December for all the residents in the block of units (I own 4 of the 6). We all do the secrect santa thingie and bring a plate, to the pool. One of my tenants always organises the games...last year we all played Bolle (scuse the spelling). Otherwise we probably wouldn't all see each other from one year to the next.

My tenants say they really appreciate it. One resident, who is someone else's tenant, always gives a "skip" (ie big rubbish bin thingie) to the block in late December, for everyone to throw out stuff they no longer need.

Pays off...cos when the cyclone hit, all the tenants got "down and dirty" helped clean up broken trees and stuff from the damage. They didn't wait for the body corp to clean up.

And yes, I always give my tenants and my PM a small gift at Xmas.

It's the thought that counts.:)

cheers
Sharon

Back