Do you have an expensive hobby?

Rollerskating! Now that might not sound expensive, but it is ghastly. Two years ago we had all four of us competing at top level. Four of us represented Australia at a small international competition and three of us competed in a group event at World Championships (came 10th). Both these competitions were held in Australia, or else we would not have been able to do it. That being said, the costs for us in that year alone were over $36000.

That is slightly more than a normal year, but all others have been still been up there.

I have no regrets though, as fast forward two years and I can no longer skate. I have bad osteoarthritis in my left hip, and the weight of the skates, combined with the high level moves that I have to perform, means that I am in pain and limp for three days after training for just half an hour. Sure, I can put them on & move around the floor, but I can not "do" anything. I've lost all flexibility too now, as I have a number of spurs on the bone, which restricts movement.

hi steveadl,

good to know a fellow collector... unless they are his autograph, memobilia, rookie card or some other rare card of his... there's a card where he wears chicago bulls 45... that is my bet that will increase in value... why it will? gut feel. probably its the only card that showed he wore 45 (his 23 was retired a year ago)... also, check out his mint condition rookie card... !!!

when did you started collecting?

Not actively collecting anymore, but I did for a few years a while back incl. when he was still playing for the Bulls (the first time). I also recall having a few Shaq cards and vaguely recall a rookie card of his but I may just be dreaming. I've got an MJ of his first or 2nd year, but don't think it was rookie (I recall 15yrs ago or so it was worth about $50 - woohoo!). Also vaguely recall having one of his baseball cards, but now my memory could just be making stuff up!

Also had hundreds of other cards with the occasional good one incl. Scottie Pippen, Larry Bird, Dream Team, an early KAJ, Magic Johnson etc. Will have to dig them out at some point and buy a Beckett mag. to see what they're going for.

it's travelling and also the motivation for me to start investing in the first place. Now my motivation has switched to my children, travelling second.

Sure we have spent loads over the years but the memories and experience is priceless and what's the point in PI if you don't enjoy it? I don't actually enjoy the process of PI (it's like a job but a good job) but the rewards are great.

USA in Dec with twins and 4y.o...can't wait!

I have found reading about other people's hobbies so interesting!

Does anyone else think it takes a passionate type of person to risk a lot and to invest in property...hence these people are often passionate about their hobbies? Or is it just myself not realising that everyone has hobbies that they really enjoy?

I've debated whether to sell off my accumilated hobbies over the past 5 years to get my deposit for my IP....but someone else said it... are these expensive hobbies? Or is this just living life?

I figure my expensive hobby is part of my balance to live my life. :)

Does anyone else think it takes a passionate type of person to risk a lot and to invest in property...hence these people are often passionate about their hobbies? Or is it just myself not realising that everyone has hobbies that they really enjoy? :)

Do you mean that property investors "risk a lot" by investing?

I don't think the average property investor "risks a lot". I wouldn't buy a property without knowing what I'm getting into so I don't consider it a great risk.

Everyone has hobbies. Some are more expensive than others. Everyone gets something out of their hobbies. Personally I don't see the enjoyment in having cards in a draw but each to their own.

Some people think I'm crazy buying houses. Others think I'm crazy flying overseas every 3 months. But I love both and I do what I want.

A million and one hobbies and passionate interests.

Some of the interests we share together is one hell of a bond in our relationship, eg the land, the country, rural Australia. So that takes us down the travels path, not so that it necessarily follows; "it costs us financially", we both have large families/exended families, combine travel and exploring with catching up on the family.

I am more the one for overseas travel. Done infrequently. But again family/extended family and friends o/seas... reduces $$ outlays.

Horses, we both dropped on earth with a love for the horses, it brought us together, Mr OO is a clever constructer, doer, builder, he has sourced horse floats that were delapidated and rebuilt around their original (good and solid) frame, some he has onsold, making money, so for us it hasn't necessarily been a huge bleed of funds for horses.

We live in wide open space country, where possible have our own feed, own hay, cut own chaff, all that sort of independent/self reliance/skillset acquired. As much as possible.

Income comes in from racing, we are particularly successful at what we do, the thing for me is I love to attain best possible outcomes/do best practices, reach for (my) level of excellence and succeed, I expect that and seek that in myself in all I do...so, racing and selling on stock we breed, educate, get performing as a going concern...has a financial return. But the kicker for me is attaining that excellence, the wonderful by product is financial reward for that.

If that makes sense.

Also, side benefit for Mr OO it combines with his love of social interaction, catching up with friends in a particular sport. Win/win.:)

Money from this passion has gone toward paying off the non deductible debt. Many times. Keeping it at bare minimum. Plus toward savings for more funds to complete. We run some quite successful animal training programs/education, not just limited to one thing.

My photography has always been a passion but even some of it earns me money, fortunate enough that some of it has been used (paid for) for things like calendars and advertising, displays...

Climbing/rock climbing is pure meditation for me. I wouldn't say it is expensive.

I love to learn stuff, huge motivational thing for me, libraries are sexy and wonderful places. Free!

Motor biking is just pure fun, sometimes it's nice to do the rev head stuff on machine, as well as the equine thing. They are just old secondhand bikes, nothing pretty. Swapped stuff we have got going.

I do a few creative arty things. Music, poetry etc, love it.

Our philanthropy stuff is something we are passionate about. It does not follow that it costs us $$.... leadership programs, donating time and knowledge, resources, your home, is something we choose to do-unconditional.

Property investing is a hoot, It is a business, a passion, a hobby, a love of the challenge and new, it deserves a forum of it's own.:p

Lots of stuff, just touched on a few, too many to mention.:)

After I bought my first IP I sold the show car i was building because I knew i could afford to buy another IP with the money it owed me...big mistake, I now own 2 IP's and I miss this car like no other, I hand built this car from the ground up and in a way it was a part of me and it was my hobby, dont make the mistake of selling your hobbies to invest, you need to enjoy living first.

visiting every country in the world and collecting as much custom stamps in my passport. and not just quickly get in and fly out again. I mean spending time in each doing the tourisy fun stuff.

It is that once in a million event where you get a sword from somewhere
and it turns out to be a perfect national treasure worth a million dollars.

Only problem with that is you will never be able to send it to Japan as it
will be confiscated and you will not be reimbursed. I know a few people who
have swords that can never go back to Japan for restoration for that reason.

how about doing it thru the japanese embassy? surely they would want their national treasures to return to their own people or country.

hmmmmmm going from memory this one looks suspiciously like the card I was talking about but won't know until I dig them out tonight.

Nup, was this one. Oh well, back in the drawer for another 20yrs. :rolleyes:

Had sooooo many different types of collections over the years (bit OCD when I catch on to something), looks like property has been the first one to pan out and make me wealthy. :D

hmmmmmm going from memory this one looks suspiciously like the card I was talking about but won't know until I dig them out tonight.

if that's true, you got yourself a gem!!!!

a top condition, can't remember the term, MJ rookie card can fetch nearly US$14000 (from beckett few years ago)... good to keep... its going to be very rare. go to borders and check it out.

if you are getting rid of any, the post 89s cards are a bit useless... just keep the rookie cards of every rookie... i'm glad mom allowed me to keep my cards at her place, or else i'll need to do an extension to the house to keep them.

well done mate!

I did the math on money i have spent on cars in the last 7 years.... its more than i paid for my first IP. and another 50k+ before i can get the car finished and back on the road,

Thats only 1 car.... the other cars i have owned i have sold for more than i paid for them.

what is it with horses? my friend's wife left him and their newborn identical boy twins for her horses:eek: She just couldn't cope with the demands of being a new mum to twins and not having any spare time for her horses!! psycho the poor guy became a single dad with twins to raise. She literally just disapeared and never came back.

Now years later, she will visit her twins once every 3 or 4 mths but still preferes her horses! :eek:

and what about the mum that murdered her georgeous boy/girl twins...gosh it's a miracle to have one of each. So sad...not coping, pnd, not getting the help she needs. I feel quite guilty that I actually think twins is easy, just a bit more work.

anyway, sorry to get off the topic but when I read about the obsession with horses..couldn't help it :eek:

how about doing it thru the japanese embassy? surely they would want their national treasures to return to their own people or country.

The idea is to get the swords back after restoration, not leave them in Japan.
Maybe I wouldn't worry so much if I was compensated but they just keep the blades.
When ever swords are to be sent out of Japan after purchase or restoration they get appraised by a govt department if they determine that it is a treasure it is confiscated.

PS. Property investing is also an expensive "hobby" of mine as I really enjoy it, but I am talking about interests outside of property\share investing.
My hubby sometimes jokes that cocaine would be a far cheaper hobby. :p But the negative cashflow is almost done (suspect 09/10 will be the last CF-ve FY) and hopefully we'll then have spare cash for some of our other vices... like many others, travel is one of our highest priorities for discretionary spending.

Back