Do you have an expensive hobby?

Sue, we both love nature, animals, wide open spaces.....and racing.

I'm not sure why we love and enjoy horses so much, my great great grandfather? bred horses for the WW1 (light horse brigade), my cousins did equestrian in the Olympics, my other cousins are jockeys, quite a few of my family breed/train/race horses.

-I know of no murders or relationship splits "because of horses".( In our family). There has been relationship troubles, but it has come from the people involved, their choices, alcohol abuse, anger management (poor), their maturity level, communications-lack thereof. Etc.

Positive note:-My sister loves that my BIL gets to follow his horse passion, she calls them his psychologist. He and his two sons have an incredible bond they share (and do stuff together) re//horses. It's beautiful to see. They disagree a lot, but when it comes to horse time, they are having fun.

My partner's ancestors were saddlers. Maybe it is something passed down, both our families have strong ties to the land, the environment, horses were an integral part of that, children on these farms had chores to complete and some of those were caring for horses, rubbing them down, doing their water and feed, caring for their harness. Part of the family, "daisy" (draught horse) used to cart my grandparents to school, she would then walk home and be sent back to the school to pick the kids up..never missed a beat.

Livelihoods depended upon horses for many years, both my partner and I had elderly rellies that told stories of "life back then"...both our families are rural/farm life people, animals were always in our lives as kids.

I cannot describle the feeling of herding sheep on horseback, me, dogs and a horse, it's teamwork, the horse learns all about it, we become a "team".

The fun to ride a horse through the waves on a beach, horse enjoying chasing waves as much as me.

Racing a horse, you get a little of the feeling roaring around on a bike, except the horse is in on the fun. It is a skill, developing and strengthening a skill, with the horse in on it. And lots of fun.:)

The people you speak of may have had other unresolved issues, I'm not sure how accurate it is to pick out one thing and it therefore is "the blame".

I'm more inclined to think each person has choices, sometimes the choices hurt other people, if it was another person, a horse, alcohol, drugs, it is still "the person" choosing ...responsibility, repercussions.. I'm not sure a horse walks into your life and says, run away with me. Some people may just use that as an explanation, an excuse?

Sorry to hear about the families though.

For me, it was, and will be again, kart racing. Can be quite cheap (i.e. after set up costs, about 200-300/weekend), up to getting serious by going into the faster, more powerful classes, where we're talking about $600-800/race. I was racing once every few weeks, gave up the hobby, now am thinking and looking to go again.

I collect shot glasses and will be collecting old motorbikes when I settle down. Whenever that will be....:D

Very interesting reading what people are into.
If your only hobby was investing the wait for equity to grow would make for a really slow hobby.

Myself, well I collect and restore vinatge Tamiya remote control cars from the late 70's and early 80's.
A kit costing just under $200 in 1980 can now command more that $3k or $4k, although the one I like the best, a Wild Willy, new in box is now about $1,500.
Unfortunatly I have over a dozen cars on display spread throughout the house and at least 8 Wild Willy's.
Ebay certainly has a lot to answer for, as I check morning and night for those elusive parts I need to complete a restoration.
My wife is very tolerant to my hobby and doesn't ask how much I spend and I don't ask how much is spent on Avon, Enjo and Tupperware.

If your only hobby was investing the wait for equity to grow would make for a really slow hobby.

I believe that would depend on a range of factors including ;

What / How many / Where / When you purchased.

Vary those attributes around somewhat, and you could be in for one hell of a wild yet well paid rollercoaster ride.

If your definition of an investing hobby was purchasing one 2 bed unit and waiting for 30 years.....then yeah, you might have a point.

Cars are travel. Both very expensive unfortunately but can't get enough of either! I have never indulged the car hobby though :( one day.. Good to see so many passionate about their hobbies.

Computer stuff.

Its as expensive as we let it be though - when our last house sells we will go off on a bender buying models. When this house sells we are going to go on a bender buying software. In the meantime at least a few places offer 1 year free trials, and one offers a heavily discounted $1000 trial, which is nice but they don't take that $1k off the final purchase price.

The hardware is much cheaper than the software, I must say.

As a kid my hobbie was remote control car racing. I raced at the state and Australian champianships. Although I didn't do that great at these levels I Ddid well at club level winning club champion and class champion.

Then as I got older my hobbie became restoring my LX Holden Torana. Full ground up rebuild, bear metal respray. Cut off and replaced the rear end, whole left hand side lower sill. Rebuilt the engine , rewired the engine bay, rebuilt front end and the list goes on and on....

Total cost was approx 18k parts only as I did all the work myself.

Took 5 years to finish and mid way through the travel bug hit so off to the states for a year travelling around in a van, Next was throughout Canada and ending up in Whistler for a year.

From Canada back home for a while then hooked up with my future wife who I had met in New Orleans and we moved in together, finished the car sold it for 10k and we took off travelling again...
Whistler again for a year, then to London for 4 yrs whilst travelling throughout UK, Scotland , Wales, Ireland, France, Spain, Portugal, Egypt, Russia, Poland, Denmark, Norway, Germany, Pretty much all the western europe countries.

All of this was for about 8-9 years then settled in Perth, married to my wonderful wife Regan and we have a 2 year old son Cade and expecting another on the 2nd Oct.

I could not possibly put a figure on this but now our hobbie is investing with the bit of OS holidays thrown in.

Ive attached pics of the RC car I raced, The Mini I had and the Torana I rebuilt.

Regards

Regrow

Attachments

• 1 (14).jpg
    1 (14).jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 1 (3).jpg
    1 (3).jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 1 (24).jpg
    1 (24).jpg
    109 KB · Views: 71
I think my hobby from age 18 to 38 was trying to live a champagne lifestyle on a beer budget. Like trying to stick a square peg in a round hole it took me 20 years to realise that I was going to retire on the poverty line, hence the total 180 degree turn around and now investing for the future.

I however do have a stack of wonderful memories and highly amusing anecdotes from my "wasteful years"

I raced Austin Healey Sprites for a while, threw bucket loads of cash at that indulgence.
Tried to impress all and sundry by saying at the end of a big night "here, let me get that". Felt great right at that moment and the gals did love it. But next morning the feeling was usually "oh crap".

Lived in ritzy apartments in the posh parts of town (usually committing more than half of salary for rent). Thank god mobile phones weren't around in my 20's!

So now the only hobby I have is wandering the aisles of Bunnings and Nursery's looking for the do-hicky's I need in fixing up the houses.

As some people on here know - my hobby involves collecting factories - and it has it's moments.

Gordon Gecko had it right when he said "When the deal goes off, it's way better than sex."

The best piece of advice I could give is do not get involved with any woman who is into horses. It will take over both your lives and you can kiss goodbye to any activity that you ever wanted to try yourself.

The best piece of advice I could give is do not get involved with any woman who is into horses. It will take over both your lives and you can kiss goodbye to any activity that you ever wanted to try yourself.

I'm leaving that one well alone.......

Gordon Gecko had it right when he said "When the deal goes off, it's way better than sex."

Comparatively, relatively, maybe we could do a chart for this, or better still wack up a poll. Hang on I'll check the ABS's....of course, keeping in mind whom it is you maybe horizontal tango-ing with, and if due diligence has been done. Numbers crunched.

Give me a moment to think on this....

....I have some growth stats somewhere, GPA and returns would need to be factored in....

Not anymore, we have kids now you see... if I have spare time it goes into playing with them.

Unless you count cycling as an expensive hobby? I see it more as a comparable expense to public transport with added fitness benefits, coupled with the freedom of going at your own pace and being in the great outdoors.

As per someone's sig I saw on another forum:

"Better wet than caged!"

Back