Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I own a PPOR and have equity in both this & Ip's totalling < $500k

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I own a PPOR and have equity in both this & IP's totalling > $500k

Votes: 26 33.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hello,
Question: to have a trust do you need any investment properties while you rent and how do you structure it.If you dont have any IP's can you still set up a buisness from your home to claim rent you are paying?
Do you need to register a buisness ?
If your IP's are not in the trust how can you do this?
Thanks Dom ;)

I still rent, and unlike all of the others, I do it because i can't afford to buy a place i'd like to live in :) Money's all tied up in investments. But it's so cool that the rest of you are renting by choice! wow!

Cat

Well, the new exemption for Stamp Duty for PPOR's means I may be able to afford my own home!! :p

Guess all you folks who are still choosing to rent will still rent?

Cat

Cat09Tails said:
Well, the new exemption for Stamp Duty for PPOR's means I may be able to afford my own home!! :p

Cat
That could be a very big factor in NSW from now. A lot of people will probably be choosing to get out of the rental market- which is probably what the pollies meant when they mentioned taking the heat out of the investor market.

Maybe Queensland and other states become even more attractive now?

Cat09Tails said:

Cat

Hi Cat :p

If you read the release carefully, the exemption isnt for PPORs.. its for First Home Buyers. If you have previously owned a PPOR at any time, or claim a residence as your PPOR, you are ineligible for the exemption.

I dont think stamp duty is what bothers most of the people in this thread who choose to rent.. its the ongoing shortfall between mortgage repayments and rental payments. For me personally, its the $250 a week I save by renting rather than purchasing my place that makes it attractive, and in turn enables me to purchase further investments...

Saving a few thousand up front on the purchase isnt that big of an issue.

Best wishes,

Jamie :)

just so im clear on this one ....

ben has a ip purchased pre gst. he has never lived in this property. neither ben or i have ever owned a ppor.

are we eligible for any of the "first home owner" grabs?

thanks in advance,

julie

Hi Julie,

Sorry, but you dont qualify for any of it :mad:

Eligibilty for the FHOG requires that you

(a) have not owned a PPOR and lived in it after July 2000 (youre safe on this one)

AND

(b) have not owned ANY property prior to July 2000 (this is where you miss out)

The Govt apparently defines a first home buyer as someone who meets both the criteria above ... you should have bought something yourself before you got married :)

Jamie.

thought that was the answer but as it lacked all logic i thought id ask. another well thought out policy by the govt. :mad:

julie

Jamie said:
I dont think stamp duty is what bothers most of the people in this thread who choose to rent.. its the ongoing shortfall between mortgage repayments and rental payments. For me personally, its the $250 a week I save by renting rather than purchasing my place that makes it attractive, and in turn enables me to purchase further investments...
What may happen for many homeowner wannabes is that the money they have saved up for stamp duty now becomes a part of the deposit.

Just to clarify, I know I won't be eligible for the FHOG. But Jamie (hiya Jamie :) ) thinks I might be eligible for the exemption on stamp duty because I have never owned a PPOR, not have I ever registered an IP as a PPOR. Am I right here, Jamie? Others?

Cat

Cat09Tails said:

Cat

Hi Cat

I will still be choosing to rent and invest in IP's, mostly based on Spidermans summary per below. I am also going with Options 3 & 4, I did consider buying my own PPOR but worked out for now I would be worser off and better off renting where I like and investing the rest.

Spiderman said:
My choice was basically:

1. Buy PPOR in Melb (for the cost of 3 IPs) and probably not get finance (an 80% loan would be close to 8 times my annual income!), slash current savings program.
2. Buy cheap PPOR further out Melb, commute to work, slash savings program.
3. Keep renting in excellent location, keep walking to work (8 min), buy IPs, double income (rents + job) and have no finance approval difficulties.
4. Keep renting and invest surplus in shares, managed funds, etc.

Not surprisingly, a mixture of 3 & 4 has been most attractive to me.

Peter

I did hear a story over the weekend of a friend of mine in Melbourne who earns $40k and rents on her own in St Kilda for $250 a week and then spends the rest on shoes!!!

Things could be worse I guess!

Good luck with the purchase of a home that you are looking for and I hope you work out your Stamp Duty exemptions etc.

Cheers

Corsa

Hi all,

Looking back, I wish that I had have thought of this before the recent price increases. Problem is that at the time we started to purchase, what we were paying in rent we could have paid the same for a home loan and hence got us off the rental merry-go-round. I am extremely glad that we did though as the first place we bought has doubled in price and we now have 2 IP's. Our greatest problem is the PPOR repayments. Fair enough we can afford them but we could rent a place for $250 a week and still be saving $150 a week!!! This would be nice but on the flip side, we have an awesome PPOR and I can't convince the wife of the benefits of renting. It seems that nice, big, cosy house outways $$ in the pocket...

Dos

Cat09Tails said:
Just to clarify, I know I won't be eligible for the FHOG. But Jamie (hiya Jamie :) ) thinks I might be eligible for the exemption on stamp duty because I have never owned a PPOR, not have I ever registered an IP as a PPOR. Am I right here, Jamie? Others?

Cat

anyone able to provide more info on this? curious to know if this is the case and if so, whether or not im eligible also :)

julie

DAAJ said:
Hello,
Question: to have a trust do you need any investment properties while you rent and how do you structure it.If you dont have any IP's can you still set up a buisness from your home to claim rent you are paying?
Do you need to register a buisness ?
If your IP's are not in the trust how can you do this?
Thanks Dom ;)

If you operate a business from your residence then you can claim part of the rent as a tax deduction, along with other expenses such as utilities, rates etc. This deduction will depend on the percentage of the property used for income producing purposes.

It doesn't matter whether you own the house or whether you rent from another person, however if your IP's are not in a trust then you will not be able to rent to yourself and claim the interest and costs as a tax deduction.

Steve Navra,

Just wondering whether you have had a chance to put together a rent vs buy spreadsheet as per you earlier post. Thought it would be quite interesting to many of us!!!

GlennM.

Back