Does seller have to provide me with deprn schedule?

Hey guys,

Stumbled upon this forum by accident and as a result have lost too much sleep over reading all the useful information posted on here, so thanks so much for your contributions!

Just hoping to clear a few things up with relation to my investment property:

I purchased a fully furnished studio in October of 2009 and was told by the RE agent that the vendor had recently re-carpeted and re-painted it (as a bargaining tool as to why I should pay more for it).

I only just discovered what a depreciation schedule is and that I can claim a significant amount of depreciation given that I have now begun renting the apartment out on a short-term basis (similar to a serviced apartment), but am unsure where to start. I have read that I can amend my 2009-2010 tax return as well, once I have a depreciation schedule to do so.

1.) Can/should I contact the real estate agent almost 2 years on and ask him to follow up the vendor requesting any information he can provide with regards to depreciation schedule / details about the building / details about his renovation cost and timing specifics etc?

2.) If I do the above, will I need to obtain a depreciation schedule regardless in order to maximise my deductions on my tax returns?

3.) This is the building it is located in:

12. BRIDGEPORT – 38 Bridge Street
Bridgeport, a 17-storey residential unit building. A conversion of the former Dalgety House (built 1966), completed in September 1998. An additional three storeys were added and the existing building converted to provide 4 x three bedroom, 23 x two bedroom, 103 x one bedroom and 27 x studio apartments, three retail/commercial suites and two levels of basement for 22 cars.

Can/should I claim a 4% depreciation level per year due to the fact that I am renting it as a serviced apartment? Or just 2.5%?

4.) If, for example, I can claim 4% over 25 years, then does this mean that over half of the allowable depreciation will have already been claimed by previous owners, given that construction completed in 98?

Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated as I am completely new to this. I am thinking my best course of action would be to order a depreciation schedule now, amend my 2009-2010 tax return, submit my 2010-2011 tax return with the schedule, then look at the possibility of refurbishing the apartment after this (so any remaining unused depreciation can be claimed in the current financial year as it will be being replaced).

You should obtain your own depreciation schedule. The vendor doesn't have any obligation to provide you with one and after a couple of years it could be tricky to chase up.

Explain the current use of the property and the quantity surveyor will figure out the most appropriate way to write everything off.

You'll have to get your own Depreciation Schedule. No point contacting the selling agent.

There will be plenty of depreciation.

The Schedule can be backdated.

Building Allowance on that property will be 2.5%. The pattern of usage is irrelevant to the ATO. Very few things meet the ATO deinition of 'short term traveller accomodation'. A motel/hotel room would if there were no cooking facilities i.e. if someone couldn't live in the place long term.

then look at the possibility of refurbishing the apartment after this (so any remaining unused depreciation can be claimed in the current financial year as it will be being replaced).

Provided your accountant does not use the Low Value Pool for the Assets.

Scott

Ok thanks for clarifying. Seems worthwhile so I am thinking I will get a QS in then.

It is a 30sqm, fully furnished studio, in a building in the heart of circular quay that completed in 1998, with the following details:
* Small TV
* Dishwasher
* Washing Machine/Dryer
* King size bed
* Bedside tables & lamps
* Small dining table & chairs
* Apparrantly recently re-carpeted & painted
* Desk for the TV
>>> Apartment building has 2 lifts and a small shared gym

With that in mind:

1.) Any rough idea what sort of depreciation I could expect in my first full year?

2.) Any rough idea what the average cost of getting a depreciation schedule would be?

3.) Scott, could you please give me an indication of what the likely cost would be if I engaged Depreciator to carry out the work?

Thanks

1.) Any rough idea what sort of depreciation I could expect in my first full year?

Hard to say. Furniture helps. Maybe $8,000 in the first full year.

3.) Scott, could you please give me an indication of what the likely cost would be if I engaged Depreciator to carry out the work?

I don't like to talk about prices on a forum, but if you call 1300 660033 and mention you're from Somersoft you'll get a discount.

There will always be people more expensive than us, and people cheaper. But we only use qualified people to carry out site inspections - with that property of yours in particular, you want a QS on site and not a date collector.

Scott

Just go and get a Quantity Surveyor to do a schedule. I promise, trying to do it yourself is a waste of time as you will not be able to do anything more than an educated guess on what you have in the property.

The only legal right you have with respect to the vendor is to ask for information to help you put together a building cost claim. I haven't seen anyone exercise it though.
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showpost.php?p=767354&postcount=5

The Schedule can be backdated.Scott

You can amend tax returns for up to 3 years.

Building Allowance on that property will be 2.5%. The pattern of usage is irrelevant to the ATO. Very few things meet the ATO deinition of 'short term traveller accomodation'. A motel/hotel room would if there were no cooking facilities i.e. if someone couldn't live in the place long term.Scott

In a unit block, the only way you can write off the building at 4% is if you own 10 or more units and rent them all as short term accommodatopm. Think of all the extra tax deductions you would have if you simply purchased another 9 units! :)

Back