Dogs

I want to rent out my property privately. Is it legal to advertise a price per week plus pet considered but extra $10 per week. This is as pets cause more damage but pet friendly properties are wanted.

I want to rent out my property privately. Is it legal to advertise a price per week plus pet considered but extra $10 per week. This is as pets cause more damage but pet friendly properties are wanted.
I'm not sure if it's legal, but in any case, I'd consider it bad practise. Nobody wants to feel that they're being "penalised" for having a pet.

If the figures you're considering are $320 and $330 per week, then just advertise "pets welcome" at $330 pw, and if they don't have a pet, you have room to negotiate down to $320 pw to secure a tenant, if necessary.

If you get a tenant who doesn't have a pet but is still willing to pay $330 pw, you got lucky. :)

Agree with Perp - just build it in to the rent you're asking for.

I'd also be asking for more than an extra tenner.

Cheers

Jamie

I'm not sure if it's legal, but in any case, I'd consider it bad practise. Nobody wants to feel that they're being "penalised" for having a pet.

If the figures you're considering are $320 and $330 per week, then just advertise "pets welcome" at $330 pw, and if they don't have a pet, you have room to negotiate down to $320 pw to secure a tenant, if necessary.

If you get a tenant who doesn't have a pet but is still willing to pay $330 pw, you got lucky. :)

This is what I do.

Thanks everyone, See your point. I just always see no pets allowed when i was renting or want to rent a holiday house and wish i could just pay extra to rent it but i guess as long as i advertise pets welcome thats fine. THANKS

Legal, I believe so (depending on State). Good practice, no.

You may find you can advertise it for the extra $10pw and say pets welcome and have no issues finding a tenant with or without a pet - $10 isn't a huge difference.

As for the damage, I find kids damaging the properties more prominent than pets half the time.

I don't get why people wouldn't allow pets, it means you can attract (sometimes) a higher rent and they usually don't do any damages. You may find kids ruin the walls of the property, careless with the carpets, throw things across the room etc. Whereas the most damage most dogs will do is put a few holes in the mesh of a fly screen or dig a few holes in the back yard, mesh will cost $50 to replace which is the tenants responsibility anyway, same as the gardens.

dogs - never again

As for the damage, I find kids damaging the properties more prominent than pets half the time.

I don't get why people wouldn't allow pets, it means you can attract (sometimes) a higher rent and they usually don't do any damages.

Hi Lil Skater and everyone

I was of the same opinion until I agreed to let my previous tenants have a dog.

Despite repeated requests that the dog remain outside, the dog was always inside. On commenting to the managing agent (3 different agents) about the stench in the place which I noticed on the one and only inspection I was told about, I was told they couldn't smell anything.

The property once vacated told a differing story.

Curtains, carpets all needed to be replaced, the urine had gone through the carpet into the underlay, no amount of cleaning was going to remove it. When questioned the tenants said the marks were coffee stains. The floating wooden floors were scratched, according to the tenants from the stones in their shoes. Both the carpeting and flooring was brand new when they moved in. The skirting boards and window frames had been chewed.

for my own sanity I chose not to proceed to tribunal, the agent did agree with me as they had been in the property for four years and not once did any agent question them, warn them or ask them about the deterioating condition of the carpets/flooring and all condition reports sent to me stated the property was being kept in a satisfactory condition.

I was glad to finally get an agent that got them out of the property and I will never again allow pets in my investment property. I feel for the owner of where they are living now.

They're just horrid tenants.

I wouldn't like to be in that position either, in my experience (so far) I haven't seen a pet damage a property as bad as a kid.

In saying that though, most (again in my experience) keep their dogs outside. If I had one I would too!

Nobody wants to feel that they're being "penalised" for having a pet.

they may not want it but surely it's a reality... why should I expect someone else to cover the costs of my dog? there are a lot of consequences I don't want as a result of my lifestyle decisions too, but I have to accept them.

they may not want it but surely it's a reality... why should I expect someone else to cover the costs of my dog? there are a lot of consequences I don't want as a result of my lifestyle decisions too, but I have to accept them.
I don't disagree; I was simply suggesting that from a marketing perspective, it's better not to make it look like a pet penalty, but instead just have a flat rate, but be more negotiable on rate for somebody without a pet. ;)

I wouldn't do it like that since if they feel like they're paying for something, then when it gets to the end of the lease and the dog has chewed up the doorjambs etc they'll feel like they've paid for the damage in advance with the extra $. If you advertise high and let them think that you're doing them a favour by allowing a dog, imo they're more inclined to keep the pet under control.

Also an extra $10 doesn't really justify the extra damage done. Properties with dogs need repainting twice as often in my experience. They smell, there are dog hairs everywhere, you have to waterblast the dog grease from concrete etc yuk

(Funny you brought this up, I had to revarnish a door on an IP the other day that the dog scratched the life out of, plus de poop the concrete with bleach and waterblasting)

If tenants don't currently have a dog they will soon get one anyway.

I have two feral children in one property and believe me the two of them do more damage then any dog could possibly. An unfortunately you can't kick the kids out.

Cheers,

Bazza

Back