Domain.com article

Another vaccous mental candy article about the state of the property market.

Whats the point? some egg head thinks that 66.2% ownership in Australia is too high? But then we turn to the average investors ie the 34.8% who I think statistically looks like very similar to the average person. (average age, average middleclass income, living in a family...that's just fantastic info). But just then we turn again to some kind of IP looneys who just waste real estate agents time negotiating on properties they have no intention or ability to buy. Then the rest of the article talks about the get rich quick and get rich easy people who flood into any hot market like lambs to the slaughter.

Whats the point! Is joe average IP investor better off to invest in managed funds and super?

I had posted the entire article but copywrite laws suggest this is not OK, even with reference to the orginal source. So I have deleted it so now you must read it yourself at this link
Do we own property - or does it own us?

..., dwellings fully owned or being purchased accounted for 66.2 per cent of more than 7 million occupied private dwellings in Australia.

But could we be obsessed with it? ....

.... average Australian property investor is a 35-year-old professional, earning $3560 a month and living in a household of 2.6 people.

....property magnates are running the risk of transforming into an "obsessive-compulsive home shopper".

..."the chance of a lifetime", he says. At lunchtime they shun the company of workmates ... Always_learning sarcastically asks; "<well not want going to lunch with your work mates... proof positive of obsession!">
...taped episodes of Hot Auctions and Location Location are fervently

...."professional contract-getters" - people who thrill at beating dozens of eager would-be buyers to secure a contract on a highly sought-after property, but who never intend to go through with it.
...."I'm sure they do it to get their rocks off," ...

... we find out they don't have the money anyway

....."It's obsessive when it interferes with other parts of your life, like having fun,

...."And materialism is the new religion, isn't it?"

...We want to build wealth because, influenced by constant stories of other people's success, we too would like to be rich. The number of publications and television shows centring on property certainly demonstrate its allure.
<Always_learning makes a comments again sarcastically " my god she is right, being poor and in the gutter or living off a pitiful government pension is the true path of success">

...go cold turkey. "Drop out of the market," he says.

....listen to people who-is-that? who know what they're doing.

Last edited:
I love it!

Perhaps there should be a syndrome named after it - magnatism or caveat emptoritis...we could all go to counsellors about our 'abnormal desire to aquire assets'.

Le's all go back to relying on the government to pay for our retirement, after all they're as trustworthy as journalists are objective!

Cheers,

Aceyducey

'Perhaps there should be a syndrome named after it - magnatism or caveat emptoritis...we could all go to counsellors about our 'abnormal desire to aquire assets'.'

As opposed to the 'normal' desire to acquire liabilities that even more people are afflicted with!

With data from Australian Bureau of Statistics quarterly figures, the 2001 Census, and the Real Estate Institute, Macquarie found the average Australian property investor is a 35-year-old professional, earning $3560 a month and living in a household of 2.6 people.

OMG!

I'm too young for this! :cool:

I'm underpaid! :eek:

I'm missing 0.6 of a person at my place! :confused:

Obviously, this author is just another journo trying to meet a deadline, without really having a clue what she's really talking about. I get a buzz out of my weekends spent negotiating

Hang on, I am 35 !!!
You are right Aceyducey, lets all rely on the government to pay my dole when an Indian worker takes my IT job in the next couple of years and my wonderful superannuation gives me the fantastic lifestyle I desire in retirement (NOT).
Meanwhile I pay megatax and then in 20 years will find there is no pension available anymore.....gee these kind of articles give me the sh?!!

Back