Don't leverage into property

Did anyone see the interview this morning that Koshie had with RBA Governor Glenn Stevens?

He talked about interest rate rises and said "It is a mistake to assume that a riskless, easy, guaranteed way to prosperity is just to be leveraged up into property".

Well yeah, hopefully we know it's not riskless, easy and guaranteed. Was he hinting at something?

Any comments?

Here it is if interested.

http://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunrise/video/play/-/6994337/rba-governor-glenn-stevens/

Didn't see the interview, but did read newspaper reports that Glenn Stevens said it would be a mistake for investors to assume interest rates would remain as low as they are now.

Can't argue with that.
Marg

Did anyone see the interview this morning that Koshie had with RBA Governor Glenn Stevens?

He talked about interest rate rises and said "It is a mistake to assume that a riskless, easy, guaranteed way to prosperity is just to be leveraged up into property".]

This is true. There are no guarantees of success in any investment strategy - be it shares, residential property or any other type of property for that matter.

][/QUOTE]Well yeah, hopefully we know it's not riskless, easy and guaranteed. Was he hinting at something?

][/QUOTE]

I think the main thing he was hinting at was don't overextend oneself just because rates are low now. Fully expect rates to rise to more 'normal' levels.

Regards Jason.

It's an official leak. The RBA will be lifting interest rates next Tuesday don't say we didn't warn you.

The questions are; how many more rised and how frequently?

Bad news for K.Rudd as interest rises, repossessions and elections don't mix.

Haven't we had the 'interest rates will return to normal levels' line drilled into us for months already? Surely when people are doing their sums they are figuring this into their calculations.

Well a few points on this -

During the GFC what investment stood up?

How does the RBA think the housing shortage will be solved without investors? Does he really think the government will fix it?

At least he realizes the only people he is effecting by raising interest rates are mum and dads. This is how the GFC in the USA started 19 rate rises in a row !
So we give people that cannot afford it increased FHOG and then raise rates on them so they get in the *hit.

The RBA will be the ONLY ones that burst the housing bubble, nobody else.

For Stevens to think it is necessary to repeat this message, he must have little faith in the risk management of bank lenders.

His efforts, in addition to the governments, should be aimed at the lenders, who have infinitely more data and smarts in relation to measuring risk, than borrowers.

Haven't we had the 'interest rates will return to normal levels' line drilled into us for months already? Surely when people are doing their sums they are figuring this into their calculations.

Depends who you refer to when you say "people". There are "people" then there's the other 95% of the population who will be crying on Current Affair in 12 months time, after they have had to sell there house because "the nasty banks" ripped them off.
I think Glenns comments were aimed at the masses. Trouble is, many of them were playing X Box at home or Keno at the pub, so they didn't see it anyway.

Interest rates will rise but GS is just trying to bring forward the effect of those rises to the present rather than waiting until the rise hits. If interest rates needed to go up, and people thought they were going to 12%, they would never end up going up because of this perception and the way people reacted in anticipation.

If Stevens can put some fear into people buying property by threatening rate rises, then that's better than actually having to put up rates signficantly. Rates will affect businesses, etc., not just mortgages. Stevens knows that he doesn't have any tools to target property specifically, so he's trying to cool the market by talking it down.

IMO, Stevens is talking up his own books. Dropping hints to forex investors. If he talks up the AU $ on the back of high interest rates now. He can blissfully let the RBA sell the AU $. Then when the next *hit storm hits and the AU $ slides and forex traders rush to the safety of the US $ (or whatever is "safe" ) the RBA can make a tidy profit on the balance when it buys back the AU $ on the cheap with its own forex holdings. The RBA has done it before, maybe they are gunning for the same trick now.

Raising rates is a no brainer, if the average joe hurts too much the govt. will fly in with $ and boondoggles while the RBA can look like the good conservative it is citing it is only interested in steadying the CPI/inflation ship.

Booming Property market is just a good scape goat for rate rises.

Depends who you refer to when you say "people". There are "people" then there's the other 95% of the population who will be crying on Current Affair in 12 months time, after they have had to sell there house because "the nasty banks" ripped them off.
I think Glenns comments were aimed at the masses. Trouble is, many of them were playing X Box at home or Keno at the pub, so they didn't see it anyway.

Would give you kudo's Rob, but apparently I have to share the love ;)

Couldn't agree more. 95% of the population don't think beyond the next paycheck, or if they do it is with unrealistic expectations.

IMO, Stevens is talking up his own books. Dropping hints to forex investors. If he talks up the AU $ on the back of high interest rates now. He can blissfully let the RBA sell the AU $. Then when the next *hit storm hits and the AU $ slides and forex traders rush to the safety of the US $ (or whatever is "safe" ) the RBA can make a tidy profit on the balance when it buys back the AU $ on the cheap with its own forex holdings. The RBA has done it before, maybe they are gunning for the same trick now.

Raising rates is a no brainer, if the average joe hurts too much the govt. will fly in with $ and boondoggles while the RBA can look like the good conservative it is citing it is only interested in steadying the CPI/inflation ship.

Booming Property market is just a good scape goat for rate rises.

Doesn't this assume 1) the RBA wants more profits and 2) the RBA has a political motive? I would have thought neither is true. Stevens doesn't get a cut of RBA profits, and in fact could make millions if he went into the private sector. Nor do I see Stevens as having a political motive either for or against the parties.

Doesn't this assume 1) the RBA wants more profits and 2) the RBA has a political motive? I would have thought neither is true. Stevens doesn't get a cut of RBA profits, and in fact could make millions if he went into the private sector. Nor do I see Stevens as having a political motive either for or against the parties.

I would humbly disagree on 1. and 2. Although I would never presume to know what the combined brains trust of the RBA is scheming/prophesying.

1) If I was head of the RBA one of my aims/goals would be for profits. In "theory" aren't all Australian shareholders in the RBA. What is the point of any bank, if not to make a killing on insider trading :p . Sure the official RBA mandate is to keep CPI inflation in check but phat profits are a good secondary to aim for. Steven's could be just a true patriot making $ for all the Aussie battlers out there. Once the fat profits are reaped then Ruddy/Abbot or the easter bunny can then go out and spread the joy with "stimulas spending/future funding" ... which leads to point 2.

2) Making fat profits for the govt could be taken as politcal motive. But I am guessing that wasn't your point. I think the RBA can run the line that it is mandated to keep the "economic ship" steady by the means assigned to it and if that means it can make profits on forex hedges all the better.

What I guess I am trying to get across is that house prices are not the be all end all of the RBA's machinations and that a booming Resi market can give it an excuse to push Interest rates in the RBA's/the govt/australia's favour.

Putting on the white hat on TV and going out and saying don't blame us blame the resi speculators/market when rates begin to bite is nothing but PR.

Having said all that I reckon the RBA board and GS are doing a great job. Especially in the face of pressures from other economies to keep rates low.

If the RBA was to set out to maximise profits, it would be a bluddy great conflict of interest. I seriously doubt that a GS would approach his job from that angle.

I agree Rob.....the only way to get people listening is to pull the level hard and up rates 0.5%!

This may sound dramatic but it will reduce to need to take rates higher if they raise rates by a thousand cuts of 0.25%.

Two rates rises of 0.5% will cool the market.....

Can't wait till this happens.....I am readying my money and shopping trolley from the fall out....

People (even on this site) were skeptical when I fixed my rates mid last year. I fixed most of loans till at mid 2011. My gut tells me we will level out (stabilise) in terms of house price growth late this year....and possible entertain a drop in rates around late next year. I am riding on this cycle.

1) If I was head of the RBA one of my aims/goals would be for profits. In "theory" aren't all Australian shareholders in the RBA. What is the point of any bank, if not to make a killing on insider trading :p

For the simple reason that Stevens doesn't get paid according to how much the RBA makes. Putting it another way, if you tell a bank director 'we pay you the same base salary no matter how much profit the bank makes', they're not going to be focused on profit. The point of the central bank, simply, is NOT profit.

. Sure the official RBA mandate is to keep CPI inflation in check but phat profits are a good secondary to aim for. Steven's could be just a true patriot making $ for all the Aussie battlers out there.

I doubt profit is in the RBA's mandate. He certainly doesn't get praised or rewarded for making profits. You really think the standard battler would prefer higher RBA profits and pay higher mortgage rates compared to lower mortgages rates?

2) Making fat profits for the govt could be taken as politcal motive. But I am guessing that wasn't your point. I think the RBA can run the line that it is mandated to keep the "economic ship" steady by the means assigned to it and if that means it can make profits on forex hedges all the better.

Again, what incentive does Stevens have to maximise profits? He doesn't get paid a bonus. He isn't beholden to either political party, as he showed when he raised rates on the Howard government who appointed him. That, more than anything, showed me the RBA is politically independent.

What I guess I am trying to get across is that house prices are not the be all end all of the RBA's machinations and that a booming Resi market can give it an excuse to push Interest rates in the RBA's/the govt/australia's favour.

And I'm saying the RBA doesn't care what the interest rate is, as long as it achieves their mandate. There is no 'favourable' direction for interest rates. The interests of the RBA, the government and Australia may be different. The government always wants lower rates. The RBA is neutral in that it'll set rates at whatever is necessary based on its view.

Ask yourself, what possible good can higher rates do for a government considering higher rates almost certainly ticks off borrowers (voters)? The RBA is, and has shown itself to be, pretty independent.

Putting on the white hat on TV and going out and saying don't blame us blame the resi speculators/market when rates begin to bite is nothing but PR.

The RBA doesn't need voter approval, since they're not elected.

Having said all that I reckon the RBA board and GS are doing a great job. Especially in the face of pressures from other economies to keep rates low.

That's the only part of your post I agree with. I think the RBA has done a great job raising rates into the top of the boom to take the edge off, then cutting quickly as things hit the fan. Now it's building up ammo by raising rates again.

Back