Double or single

Hi all ,

I am looking at building house in the south west of Sydney it will be for investment purposes and wanted to know what would be a better option a single story house or a double story house. Both houses will be about the same in actual size but double stories according to my research seem to cost a lot more. The prices are very identical the only difference would be is the backyard space would be bigger if I build the double story. Thanks in advance

Hi all ,

I am looking at building house in the south west of Sydney it will be for investment purposes and wanted to know what would be a better option a single story house or a double story house. Both houses will be about the same in actual size but double stories according to my research seem to cost a lot more. The prices are very identical the only difference would be is the backyard space would be bigger if I build the double story. Thanks in advance

I've got the same headache last couple week. There are other things may need to consider:

- Value: any local comparable sales, talk to RE etc.
- Marketability: the targeted group of tenants/ buyers, are they happy to climb stair?
- DA: which one is council planning preference. I would go for the maximum achievable development then amend in construction stage if needed.
- Flexibility:any provision for adding value in future.
- Aesthetic: depend on design concept.

I try to avoid stair for ease of construction & larger pool of tenants thus I'm with single storey option.

I'd go for double. More $ to build but more $ in return.

Don't worry about staircase restricting pool of tenants as there are plenty of tenants out there. Also there are lifts that can be attached to the stair case to assist the elderly and disabled get up and down (kids love 'em too!,,,wheee!)

Hi all ,

Thats a no brainer if in fact what you say is true that the end prices are identical. Two story is more cost to build, more time and more holding costs which equalls less profit over single story.

Cheers

Thats a no brainer if in fact what you say is true that the end prices are identical. Two story is more cost to build, more time and more holding costs which equalls less profit over single story.

Cheers

could you please explain how the holding costs are more? thanks

could you please explain how the holding costs are more? thanks

Because the staged payments are higher since it cost more and it takes longer to build before any rent or sales procedes are aquired. So more interest costs over a longer timeframe.

Cheers

I'd go for double. More $ to build but more $ in return.

Don't worry about staircase restricting pool of tenants as there are plenty of tenants out there. Also there are lifts that can be attached to the stair case to assist the elderly and disabled get up and down (kids love 'em too!,,,wheee!)

I don't think the '$' are ever more, proportionately.

I've never been able to justify building two stories. Five or more yes, but two, no.

Jeremy -

Last edited:
Back