double rates

Anyone else have this problem.
1 title: 3 b/r house + granny flat/unit at the back but
2 lots of water & council rates
is it only my local council?

Council rates are levied per household. Obviously you must have separate water meters for the house and the grannyflat. At least two toilets too, so double sewerage, and two rubbish bins so double garbage fees as well.
Being only one title and one ULV, I would imagine that could be negotiable with council with apportioning between the house and the granny flat. I don't think there should be a doubling up on the one ULV, apportioning would be fairer.

Hi Scouse,

We have a duplex pair in QLD
Rates are: sewarage, water, waste/recycle bins x 2
Fire levy, Cat 1 Res rates x 1
Seems only appropiate that the land portion be charged once.

cheers Timm

scouse said:
Anyone else have this problem.
1 title: 3 b/r house + granny flat/unit at the back but
2 lots of water & council rates
is it only my local council?
All Councils are different.

We have (Blacktown Council NSW) 1 title with 2 x 3 br houses where we receive 1 council rates (same amount as for other single dwellings in the area) & 1 water. We don't even get charged extra for the extra garbage collections.

Another one (Moree Council NSW) Block of 4 Strata Titled units (ie 4 Titles) all owned by us. We receive 4 rates, however get a discount because we own all 4. The amount we are charged is equivilent to 1 rates plus a slight bit extra for the additional 3 garbage collections. Water & rates are combined so there are only small bills for water usage on top of that.:D

Back