Down side of home staging

So we recently did our own home staging for a house we were selling.
See pics here: http://www.hammerandheels.net/unvailing-bonner/

We used our own furniture and I did the styling myself. We hadn't gone back to this place for a few weeks, busy with new bub and the house was already under offer (got a buyer first week). But we decided we would leave the furniture in there until contracts exchanged.

Anyway, we went back last week and discovered we'd been robbed. There was no forced entry and there were no damage. However, the outside sensor light had been turned upwards. Obviously the side they took the furniture out of. We suspect they may have come through an open home and maybe left a window open.

They were very selective about the furniture they took. I think it must be female instigated. The took my designer dining chairs (Mademoiselle chairs). They were replicas but I still paid $180 eh. The genuine ones are $1K each. They also took the two paintings. I had two hand bags in the WIR and they only took the Chanel (this was a fake so up yours!).

The thing that really pissed me off was they took my two favorite cushions. The two I got online from the US. Left the one you can get here.

The cops say some people target staged homes as they know no one lives there so be careful if you are using your own furniture to stage your home.

sorry to hear about that....

were you insured?? did you hire most of the furniture? surely the hire company would have some form of insurnace

Sorry to hear.

I was talking to a plumber today and he was mentioning that hot water systems get knocked off from new properties around that area quite a bit.

Cheers

Jamie

That's horrible - hopefully they're pretty easy to replace. I'd be so annoyed as I'm very particular with items like that.

It's good that you weren't there at the time though :)

Btw, the styling in the lounge and dining room looks great! I want the armchair and dining chairs.

That's horrible - hopefully they're pretty easy to replace. I'd be so annoyed as I'm very particular with items like that.

It's good that you weren't there at the time though :)

Btw, the styling in the lounge and dining room looks great! I want the armchair and dining chairs.

Thanks Cimbom, you can get the dinning chairs online from Sokol, they are $179 eh. I have to get some more too now. Black leather 3 seater is from King Furniture, it's the Opera.

It had to be female instigated looking at how selective they are about what they took and their knowledge of designers. Other than all the bits I mentioned in my original post they left everything else.

Sorry to hear.

The RE should have ensured that all access points were secured at the completion of showings. No guarantees there!

The other way they could have gained access is by utilising the Bump lock technique. It seems to have gone very quite but I am sure it's still able to be accomplished.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/24/the-lockdown-locked-but-not-secure-part-i/

My PM was just mentioned the other day that he had a break-in at a unit where there was no physical signs which would be a result if the bump key technique was used.

Cheers

That's a shame.

I looked at staging for one of my properties, however the cost was around $5000 to stage 220 sqm home I was gobsmacked. I guess it makes sense if it means you make $10,000 more when you sell.

What I did was spend $1400 and got the front elevation of the house painted to modernise the property and the photos looked great and helped to sell the property.

MTR

That's a shame.

I looked at staging for one of my properties, however the cost was around $5000 to stage 220 sqm home I was gobsmacked. I guess it makes sense if it means you make $10,000 more when you sell.

What I did was spend $1400 and got the front elevation of the house painted to modernise the property and the photos looked great and helped to sell the property.

MTR

I'm not sure if my styling helped sell the house but we did get an offer during the week after the first open home we were happy with which we accepted. I'm no expert in styling (have not had any formal training) but I do love having a go.

Back