driveway and wall ideas please ?

Hi all
Looking at ideas to improve the driveway of my newest baby. The house is going to be a rental for at least 5 years.

The drive way is liquid limestone pour which is cracking and falling apart on one side. The area is about 80sqm.

Been looking at a new concrete pour at $45sqm + $1000 to remove the old total about $5000. Then when come time to sell topcoat the driveway with a graphite application at $40sqm.

Got a quote on exposed aggregate $9000 for total job.

Both options are $$$$ but trying to increasing the rent and overall value of the house for next bank Val.

ideas appreciated

Attachments

• drive.pdf
    856 KB · Views: 158
The way previous tenants have treated our driveways I would have preferred one that looks like yours because by the time they strip a few engines and repaint their furniture on it without a drop sheet they end up pretty much like yours. I doubt you will get much of a return on your improvement in valuation or rent ... in my opinion.

Hi,

Certainly no expert, as a neutral pair of eyes and knowing the suburb, my suggestion would be paint (above the garage) and a far less expensive tidy up of the garden, from a rental perspective, I believe the driveway would become a non issue.

Could you put it on the market to see if you achieve your desired rent without investing at the driveway at this stage?

Congrats on your purchase :)

Is there a magic formula that is used to work out money spent V's rent achieved ?

For example spend $1000 for an $10 week increase in rent ??

Is there a magic formula that is used to work out money spent V's rent achieved ?

For example spend $1000 for an $10 week increase in rent ??

Nope. But consider this, $5k spend costs $25 in interest per month. Will a better driveway get you an extra $25 or more per month in rent? If not, probably not worth it.

Also, it looks like the cracking is due to earth movement because you are higher than your neighbour with no retaining or stabilisation. Unless your quote include some serious reinforcement, or you plan on building a retaining wall at the same time, you could have the same problem with your new driveway very soon.

acid cleaned the drive and rendered the wall.
The end result :)

Attachments

• IMG_9123.jpg
    IMG_9123.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 78
crushed kitty litter over an oil stain is supposed to absorb it. I dont know how fresh the stain has tobe but maybe worth a try. I certainly wouldnt worry about it but if you still want to do something, try paving paint. We did our back patio in it (colour Jasper a sort of grey/brown). We saw cut large squares into the concrete and then painted and it looks like tiles. Very pleased with the result

fernfern:

If you spray an oil stain with rp7 heavily before putting the kitty litter down, it helps in drawing out the oil I've found.

Concrete/paver paint is a good alternative. I've painted my garage in it and it looks fantastic. Also provides a seal against oil in the future.

99% of the job is making sure the prep work is done thoroughly.

Back