Driving Brisbane to Canberra - which highway

Ok did a stupid thing and scheduled to work in Canberra from Tuesday this week to Tuesday the following week. Said yep right drive down is easy (need to drive due to equipment), Monday shouldn't be much traffic. forgot the public holiday :eek:

Has anyone done the drive done either the Newell Highway or the New England/Putty Road/Hume (so avoiding the Newcastle section of Pacific)?

Just trying to avoid sitting in the gridlock that is bound to happen on the Pacific southbound tomorrow afternoon.

I've driven the Newell and the Pacific a couple of times. The Newell is a bit further, and can be boring, but very easy (easier than the Pacific), and fewer cops or speed cameras. It's also flatter.

I dont think it will be too bad. We did Canberra to Coffs over Easter last year and there were only two hold ups - Traffic lights at Buladelah and the T intersection near Newcastle. Both had traffic banked up for km's, but only added an extra 20 mins or so to the trip.

Getting through Sydney is easy with the M7.

NSW schools are still on holidays for another week, so not everyone will be returning.

I would go around Sydney, have a look on whereisit to get some mileage/times then dig your map out and go inland down through Dubbo.

It won't just be Newcastle, Sydney, it could be busy in quite a few places down the coast as well.

Be adventurous, the country folk could use a bit of travellers money as well :)

Ta guys.
Have decided on inland via Dubbo (Newell Highway) unless we hear of adverse conditions on that road overnight.

Figure it's something a bit different (drove the Pac Hwy more than 33 times last two years :eek:) and a bit of a scenery change. Not sure apart from fuel how much money we'll be dropping in country coffers - we tend to just get in and go, most food, drink, coffee is packed as I can't stand getting stuck with pies or Mcdonalds as my lunch choices

Edit to add - it's not just the pinch points I'm concerned about - more about what happens when someone has a crash and closes down most of the highway for several hours.

Has anyone done the drive done either the Newell Highway or the New England/Putty Road/Hume (so avoiding the Newcastle section of Pacific)?

I've done them all, numerous times, and I still prefer the 39 (Newell Hwy) for the "just get it done" trips. I take Forbes-Cowra-Canberra for the bottom section.

Route 1 (Pacific Hwy) is far better than it use to be, with bypasses etc., but some serious traffic still exists. I avoid this route unless it is warmer weather and I intend to have a couple of days layover mid-route.

New England is a nice alternate every now & then, but not the quickest route.

Loved the Newell - dog got into the lunch bag and ate the sandwiches, so pie it was - best meat pie ever at Goondiwindi :). Really enjoyed the change, much less stress than the Pac Hwy (drove Canberra to Port Mac today - much less relaxing drive).

Also for anyone driving the Pac Highway - can thoroughly recommend the Ulmarra Pub and Cafe for good food and a relaxing spot to break - lovely beer garden overlooking the river, yummy affordable food, and best of all beer garden is pet friendly (on leash). Lovely grassed area to spread out on or picnic tables to sit at.
About 20 minutes north of Grafton.

Was planning to make the trip to Brisbane from Canberra via the newell tomorrow. Looked on the RTA website and saw flooding at moree with the Newell likely to close, now looking at going from coonabarabran to tam worth/armidale to Warwick via the new England hwy instead.

You might be OK. But from Coonabarabran right through to Brissy there's been a lot of rain. Over 100 mills in spots just for the week. And forecast to continue for a few more days yet. I'd put it off if possible. It takes a lot less rain to flood inland, than it does on the coast. It's flogging down now. Good luck.

See ya's.

Appreciate the comment, got leave approved from work and have been looking forward to this trip for months, so we are going for sure.

Newell Hwy closing between Narribri and Moree at 6pm according to the RTA. Tomorrow's drive will be interesting ..

Might be worth taking food and drinking water just in case you get caught in between.

Mate of mine went through first lot of water, half an hour later gets to another lot and it was too deep so he turns around and when he got back to the previous lot it had risen just enough to get him worried and there he sat for about 6 hours.

Appreciate the comment, got leave approved from work and have been looking forward to this trip for months, so we are going for sure.

Newell Hwy closing between Narribri and Moree at 6pm according to the RTA. Tomorrow's drive will be interesting ..

So, how'd you go?

The Gunnedah to Tamworth road was closed after lunch, and schools were shutting in Tamworth to get kids home before roads were blocked. Tamworth has had 175 mills in 2 days, plus more in the days before. Still raining too!:eek: Good thing the country music show was finished, as where everyone camps will soon be under water.

See ya's.

Made it,only took 16 hours lol

Ended up going the new England. Lots of roadwork / potholes, 2 accidents and crappy weather most of the way.

Think we will take the pacific on the way back, not sure what shape the Newell is going to be in after this flooding

My dad drove Canberra to Brisbane on Monday up the Pacific Hwy. He had a few issues from Grafton up. He was diverted to the Sumerland Way and ended up in Beaudesert on a terrible winding road.

He's driving from Gold Coast to Adelaide today - he was going to go inland but all the roads are closed so is going to risk it down the Pacific Hwy again.

The RTA website isnt very clear and dad said the signs on the hwy telling you where to go are very poor - he should have turned off the Sumerland Way at some point, however there wasn't a sign and so ended up going 100's of km extra.

Back