Dropping off the Edge: Disadvantage located

rosebud

Hi Spiderman

The inclusion of Rosebud surprised me (somewhere near the bay if I'm not mistaken).

The lack of western suburbs confirmed what I already know.

cheers

Dwayne

Hi Spiderman

The inclusion of Rosebud surprised me (somewhere near the bay if I'm not mistaken).

The lack of western suburbs confirmed what I already know.

Rosebud West can be attributed to the high number of age pensioners.

Their incomes would be low, but I doubt they'd have the least assets.

Though the study uses postcodes and claims that it is the smallest statistical unit on which information is available, this produces very biased results.

Why? Newer outer suburbs usually have larger postcode areas than inner suburbs.

Hence a large outer suburban postcode is likely to have both advantaged and disadvantaged areas, whereas a smaller postcode area (eg Braybrook) will only have disadvantage. The average of the latter will be lower than the former, even though the former can still have large poor areas.

An example is the 3028 postcode. Most studies indicate that Laverton is very poor by Melbourne standards. However as it shares the postcode with better-off Altona Meadows the postcode conceals this.

Peter

Hi Peter

I note that the recently approved Williams Landing/ex-RAAF airstrip is "Laverton 3028".

This will further distort figures, unless of course a new postcode is allocated.

Either way, I think Laverton, particularly between the freeway and the railway line, is good buying.

cheers

Dwayne

Back