Drugs and Prostitution vital to the economy

If I didn't know better I'd swear I'd stumbled into a discussion amongst a bunch of 12 year school girls.

I'm mystified as to how you can have a meaningful discussion based on a meaningless fictitious piece of data.

seriously if you believe that then I can't add anything more

This is how ridiculous that statement is;

GDP figures published by various govts are notional at best and constructed from a model that changes to suit the times. No two countries use the same model so comparisons become meaningless. Deflators (IE inflation rates) are equally massaged, manipulated, remodelled to suit as required.

If I said the cash flow on property A was $25k and on property B it was $26k but I used different methods to calculate the outcomes the data becomes useless for comparison purposes and useless because there's no way a 3rd party can make sense of the figure without knowing the details of the method used to calculate it and an understanding of the inputs and their context.

You however seem to think this rates as a key performance indicator (KPI)

Good luck with that.

So Freckle, what do you use to assess how an economy is going, if GDP etc aren't suitable?

• export product and markets
  • debt (private and public)
  • liabilities
  • employment
  • demographics
  • ToT
  • balance of payments
  • foreign reserves
  • FX
  • foreign investment
  • education standards
  • geopolitical relationships
  • government policy
  • technical capabilities
  • R&D
  • budgets (surplus or deficits)
  • competitiveness
  • industrial manufacturing capability/capacity

GDP is a meaningless generalisation with no context and more often than not fictitious. The sooner people throw it in the dustbin the better informed they'll be.

So tell me, how do you measure 'competitiveness'? If GDP is a meaningless generalisation with no context, I look forward to your (quantitatively based, of course!) reply.

So tell me, how do you measure 'competitiveness'? If GDP is a meaningless generalisation with no context, I look forward to your (quantitatively based, of course!) reply.

Your question implies GDP is a measure of competitiveness which it most definitely is not.

How to measure depends on what you're measuring

Your question implies GDP is a measure of competitiveness which it most definitely is not.

How to measure depends on what you're measuring

Competitiveness dummy. Its in her question to you mate.

Your perception is lacking. Or you are just here to stir the pot.

Im convinced its both.

Competitiveness dummy. Its in her question to you mate.

Your perception is lacking. Or you are just here to stir the pot.

Im convinced its both.

You obviously have the answer Picket Fence (or think you do) so lets here your version if my perception is so lacking.

No I dont have the answer, but you are spruiking that you do and that anyone else is incorrect, not only incorrect but stupidly so, so lets hear it, answer the question Jen asked you.

We are alll listening remember?

Thanks The Fence.... I didn't mean to be so mysterious in my post about what I was asking :p

Freckle, this is my question: How do you measure competitiveness?

No I dont have the answer,

I know you're not too sharp Rusty but think about it. If I wanted to measure the competitiveness of the manufacturing sector for example would GDP (even if it wasn't manipulated) be a true indicator? I hardly think so.

This stuff isn't hard. If I wanted to measure the competitiveness of the export sector for example things like labor costs, FX etc would be just a few metrics I would be looking at. You need a comparison. Either previous performance or another competitor.

A 100 ways to do it and every sector is a little different to/from the other.

Thanks The Fence.... I didn't mean to be so mysterious in my post about what I was asking :p

You weren't but Rusty's not the sharpest tool in the drawer. A simplistic answer above because measuring anything usually implies specifics.

Like I said; how you measure depends on what you measure. To complicate things further you might be looking at specific types of competitiveness or the various dimensions of competitiveness as an indicator either specifically or overall

Like I said; how you measure depends on what you measure.

Competitiveness is generally a micro issue, unless we're talking about external sector comparisons.

Domestically speaking, you'd measure competitiveness in different ways for different industries, segments and market structures. E.g. you could compare the competitiveness of the A-league to the EPL (sports) - but the yardstick you'd use would be different if you're comparing the supermarket industry.

At an international level, you could measure competitiveness by looking at PPP adjusted wage levels, conditions for the business sector (e.g. red tape), taxes, etc.

Cheers,
Redom

Back