Dual Key developments - Perth

hi all

Dual key properties have been popular in Qld maybe not so much in the BCC where its not quite allowed yet but have any designers and developers explored whether this product is allowed in Perth?

And just to define what i mean by dual key, its a single dwelling with 2 separate entries. For example you'd have a 3x2 and a 2x1 under the same roof but with 2 distinct entries. This is great for yield hence the question.

Should be doable in a planning sense if you have one as the main dwelling and the other as an ancillary dwelling (granny flat). You would need to comply with the GF development rules obviously - main one being that it needs to be a single house lot on 450sqm or above.

Should be doable in a planning sense if you have one as the main dwelling and the other as an ancillary dwelling (granny flat). You would need to comply with the GF development rules obviously - main one being that it needs to be a single house lot on 450sqm or above.

how would one overcome the sharing of power, gas and water. maybe gas is not so much an issue for that ancillary dwelling can go all electric but definitely power as there would only be 1 WP meter.

I live in one - Melbourne Docklands, Queensland developer. Lots of flexibility: rent both; live in flat, rent studio (which is what I'm now doing); keep studio as city pad with PPOR away from city; live in flat and let aged parent/teenager have studio; live in both.

As built, mine has separately metered electricity and aircon but one meter each for hot and cold water to both sides, so a landlord has to pick this up. At least one investment owner has installed split metering so as to be able to pass these charges over to tenants. Gas to cooktops is unmetered - it's paid by the OC. It comes to about $5K a year for 500 units so not much cooking done here!

I live in one - Melbourne Docklands, Queensland developer. Lots of flexibility: rent both; live in flat, rent studio (which is what I'm now doing); keep studio as city pad with PPOR away from city; live in flat and let aged parent/teenager have studio; live in both.

As built, mine has separately metered electricity and aircon but one meter each for hot and cold water to both sides, so a landlord has to pick this up. At least one investment owner has installed split metering so as to be able to pass these charges over to tenants. Gas to cooktops is unmetered - it's paid by the OC. It comes to about $5K a year for 500 units so not much cooking done here!

Tony

so if you've got a separate meter for electricity does this mean there are 2 separate accounts with the power company?

Back