Ducted AC in apartments

Hi all,

Sorry if this seems like an odd question, but in apartment buildings with ducted AC, are the ducts linked in a way that can facilitate the travel of cooking smells etc. between apartments, or are they in this respect just as separate as each apartment having its own split system?

To my understanding, there is legislation preventing the interconnection of such circulation systems within adjoining apartments/or units. It is primarily for fire safety and preventing the spread of smoke and fire throughout the building.

It may be possible that older blocks of units are not protected in this way but I do not have access to the regulations to confirm dates of change in regulations.
It is however very common in apartment blocks for substandard sealing of party walls (seperation walls between the apartments) and hence the ability to share air between two or even several of them.
To remedy this is very expensive as it would require removal of skirting boards and floor coverings; and much worse, ceilings to reseal.

Good luck with hitting up the owners corporation to take on such a task/expense.

Thanks for the info. Re party walls, is there anywhere I can find info about that sort of thing which is useful to an apartment buyer?

What I mean is: there's plenty about detached house materials (brick veneer, reverse brick veneer, double brick, fibro, etc.) and their advantages/disadvantages, but I have a harder time finding similar guidance with respect to apartments. Yet I hear they're highly variable and, being so close to neighbours, the materials that insulate noise/odour/etc. seem just as important if not more so.

Even a book suggestion that covers the dos and don'ts specific to apartment buying would be great!

Back