Ducted Aircon - maintenance - expences - PM's

I'm feeling a bit frustrated but maybe this is what having rental properties and property managers is all about.

Tenant requested ducted aircon be cleaned and serviced. I supplied company details who deals with my brand and who has been servicing my unit for past 15 years to my PM. PM gets another company out, who looking at their website don't deal with my brand. They charged $200 for service and labour and say it is stuffed and need either $2200 to repair it or $4400 to replace with a cheaper brand than what's in now. I feel it's a complete waste cleaning something if it needs immediate replacing and I would prefer the company's opinion that has been servicing it for past 15 years. I guess I should suck up the expense and pay the right company to come out and look at it?

Tell the pm that you had provided instructions for your preferred contractor and that they were acting outside of their authority to use an unknown without consulting you. Ask for a refund.

They charged $200 for service and labour and say it is stuffed and need either $2200 to repair it or $4400 to replace with a cheaper brand than what's in now

Had the same done at my IP except it only cost $144 and was the OEM agent but the result was the same. tenant reported system OK but on inspection found to be u/s with a $3K bill.

Not happy as I end up in dispute as tenant advise it was working until they got up in the roof but agent stated fault identifed on arrival do was a bit of a "he said that" and "she said this" argument. I wish I was there when they done it.

Ended up paying but a much reduced final cost.

The only thing you can really do is get your PM to arrange a second opinion from your preferred agent the go from there. Hopefully you will get a better outcome than me.

I'm going to just suck it up and cop it! The PM has been quite good and his fees are quite reasonable, his service has been excellent, so in comparision the $200 isn't much to lose. Will get my regular maintenance air-con co. to give some quotes and advice. It's my PPOR I'm renting out while I'm living interstate so I'm not wanting to end up with some crappy air con unit that is ineffecient and ... crap, which I'm suspecting this first quote has entailed - 5 year warranty - but I really don't know much about ducted air-con!! The exisiting unit had some 2 year, 15 year and lifetime warranty on different components.

Back