Ducted aircons vs split system

Ducted aircons vs split system WA

Question : should I get ducted air-con over 1 split in all of my development block in spearwood? We have our pre start in a couple of weeks. Or I could just get another split system for bedrooms. At moment thinking of deluxe package,but there is higher spec ultimate package with option for glass splash backs and a mosaic stone piece in bathrooms rest is the same as deluxe

Last edited:
Do whatever makes money. Would your buyers notice it is ducted air conditioning and even if they did - will they pay more for it?

What are the ongoing costs to factor in...

For eg: we rented at house with ducted, the system was 8 yrs old, constantly had issues with it. LL had it checked out and parts had to come from O/S so 3 mth wait, but we had no use of the entire system for the duration, and the fix was over 10k to the LL. Possibly extreme costs here, doubt it would always be like that!

In our PPOR we have 10 yr old split systems 4 dbl units. Geckos can be a problem peeing on circuit boards, of all things! We lost one system to this and could have replaced the circuit board for a decent chunk but given the age of the systems we just replaced them with a new and different model that has sealed circuit boards to guard against the issue.
The upside in all of this is that if there is an issue with air con. It does not become quite as urgent if it is one system, it does if it is ducted for the entire accommodation.

Also the warranty was better for the split over the ducted. Worth looking at IMO.

I'm not sure what your intentions are with the development once it's built some features of a build are implemented for reasons other than equity creation or increased rents. Sometimes a feature is what is required to make sure your property is not vacant, and is chosen over another with a similar spec, by a tenant.

Of course the same is true of a buyer - your sale price might not be any higher with ducted than with split(it may be no higher than an identical dwelling with no aircon) however it is likely to stay not the market for a shorter period of time than its lesser counterparts.

I'm not sure what your intentions are with the development once it's built some features of a build are implemented for reasons other than equity creation or increased rents. Sometimes a feature is what is required to make sure your property is not vacant, and is chosen over another with a similar spec, by a tenant.

Of course the same is true of a buyer - your sale price might not be any higher with ducted than with split(it may be no higher than an identical dwelling with no aircon) however it is likely to stay not the market for a shorter period of time than its lesser counterparts.

No I was just basically wanting to know if ducted is more popular in perth the splits

That's why I ask! I already know that will need pretty good spec .
Just wanted to know if anybody new if ducted over splits were the go, for spearwood wa.

They are quiet expensive especially to get zones to each room so if not needed would rather more equity.

If I was going to sell think I would get ducted there will be a lot of developments in next 2 years stand out a bit more with ducted over somebody that doesn't but suppose depends on a few things

What are the ongoing costs to factor in...

For eg: we rented at house with ducted, the system was 8 yrs old, constantly had issues with it. LL had it checked out and parts had to come from O/S so 3 mth wait, but we had no use of the entire system for the duration, and the fix was over 10k to the LL. Possibly extreme costs here, doubt it would always be like that!

In our PPOR we have 10 yr old split systems 4 dbl units. Geckos can be a problem peeing on circuit boards, of all things! We lost one system to this and could have replaced the circuit board for a decent chunk but given the age of the systems we just replaced them with a new and different model that has sealed circuit boards to guard against the issue.
The upside in all of this is that if there is an issue with air con. It does not become quite as urgent if it is one system, it does if it is ducted for the entire accommodation.

Also the warranty was better for the split over the ducted. Worth looking at IMO.
Thanks for reply
Yes did think they would be quiet dear to fix cause it's a whole system
Not just one split were you could replace .

But then again don't know a lot about aircons

Im having this same problem. 5 or 6 splits vs one ducted system with 6 zones.

If the ducted system breaks then you loose confort in the whole house but with a split then you have another 5 systems still working. The ducted reverse cycle cost seems to be still about 1.5-2x price of 5-6 splits so it doesnt seem worth it. Also these ducted units do not run efficently when running one or two small zones so it should be much cheaper using splits. Lastly the ducted seem to only have 1 or 2 temperature sensors so you will need to position the temp sensor in the middle of the house and then leave the doors open in each zone so the system can get a read of the temperature.

The only problem with splits is there would be so many compressor units around the house and all those internal units in every room may look a bit overwelming.

Ducted systems are pretty much the standard now.

As for breakdowns and maintenance there is only one way around this in my opinion, and that is to get a Daikin up front (not normally used due to $$$).

The money you spend upfront will save you in the long run. I put this in my parents build, and we put them in every build where I work (whether we do it, or client uses our supplier direct) and I have never had any maintenance based on air con.

My parents has had no issues to date, and their previous Daikin system was 11 years old with no issues either.

That said, it depends on your end product. If selling, any old ducted system is a ducted system to most people. For renting and maintenance, a feasibility is needed I guess as far as servicing costs of units vs initial outlay on a Daikin. Get a couple of quotes.

Ive done a heap of research. Actron are the best and most efficent but more expensive than daikin. Best price for my PPOR (6 zones, 10 ducts) is $11k for Daikin or $14.5k for Actron for a 14kw unit. All installers stated that this can run about 100sqm or 3 zones.

If i get 6 splits then i can run the whole house (180sqm) and its about $4900 (6 panasonic units ) plus about $500 per install ($3k) = ~ $7k

4x http://appliancecentral.com.au/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=764
2x http://appliancecentral.com.au/shop..._id=765&utm_source=getprice&utm_medium=cpc900

The only problem with splits is there would be so many compressor units around the house and all those internal units in every room may look a bit overwelming.
True, but but they are getting nicer wall mounted units such as: http://www.mitsubishielectric.com.au/signature-series-wall-mounted-air-conditioners.html or http://www.chilledsolutions.com/aircon.htm

or you can always go low profile bulkhead, ceiling cassette or floor console: http://www.delmar.com.au/which-system/16-split-system

Anyway, to answer the OPs question: I don't think renters care if a system is split or ducted as long as there is air con. Actually, some may prefer splits because it could be cheaper to cool just the main living area in the day and just the bedrooms at night rather than run a whole house system.

For my two storey units I am thinking of ducted upstairs and a couple of splits downstairs, which is definitely cheaper than whole house ducted.

For single storey, I would lean towards splits I think. Probably big for the living areas/master bed but don't forget multi-head splits for smaller bedrooms for example:
http://www.endeavouraircon.com.au/residential-air-conditioning-sydney/split-systems/

You will just have to price up some different options and see what works.

NOTE: all of the above are given as examples, not recommended products. I have no idea what brand of a/c to purchase.

If i get 6 splits then i can run the whole house (180sqm) and its about $4900 (6 panasonic units ) plus about $500 per install ($3k) = ~ $7k

4x http://appliancecentral.com.au/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=764
2x http://appliancecentral.com.au/shop..._id=765&utm_source=getprice&utm_medium=cpc900
If that was at my house I would close off the bedrooms during the day and only run the split in the living area. At night, I would close off the living area and just run the bedroom splits.

Actually, this is pretty much what I do (3x2) with one split system (centrally located) for a 130m2 house. On a very hot night I use a fan to push extra cool air into the bedrooms. Works reasonably well but splits in the bedrooms would be better.

Ducted systems are pretty much the standard now.

As for breakdowns and maintenance there is only one way around this in my opinion, and that is to get a Daikin up front (not normally used due to $$$).

The money you spend upfront will save you in the long run. I put this in my parents build, and we put them in every build where I work (whether we do it, or client uses our supplier direct) and I have never had any maintenance based on air con.

My parents has had no issues to date, and their previous Daikin system was 11 years old with no issues either.

That said, it depends on your end product. If selling, any old ducted system is a ducted system to most people. For renting and maintenance, a feasibility is needed I guess as far as servicing costs of units vs initial outlay on a Daikin. Get a couple of quotes.

We got a Daikin ducted for our PPOR which subsequently became an IP. I would never buy Daikin again. We had problems in the first few months which required a Daikin guy to come from Sydney to Dubbo to sort out. For the past three months the system has not been working despite several visits by a technician from a different daikin installer than the original installer.

My vote is no to ducted and never to daikin. We spent a lot of money on getting Daikin because of its reputation. Unfortunately in my experience an undeserved reputation. Or if it is deserved the other ducted systems must be shocking.

Went through the same decision making process over the last two weeks.

Installer quoted me for 4 x splits (two others were already installed) for a fairly large house, and he wouldn't even quote the ducted cause he said it would be too much. $6.5k for the splits, probably $10K + for the ducted. All Mistsu Elec.

We also feel the heat differently in our family, so some would want it on, when others feel fine.

Had 4 splits + a wall mounted in the last house, and worked well.

Personally for a 3 x 2 villa I'd go split still and do living area and *maybe* master

I did ducted for Gwelup but that was 4 x 2 with theatre and nice area.

You can get some splits which use one outside compresser and 2 internal heads.

Personally for a 3 x 2 villa I'd go split still and do living area and *maybe* master

I did ducted for Gwelup but that was 4 x 2 with theatre and nice area.

You can get some splits which use one outside compresser and 2 internal heads.

Yes, for my IP's i get one large split that does kitchen/living then a small split for bedroom. Im building a 4x2 and i will probably do the same since the threatre room is fully open and can be serviced by the large split.

Ducted A/C must have sufficient zoning otherwise you are cooling areas when they are not required to be cooled vs several split systems in different rooms
Tenants only want to be cool except maybe high end of the market properties

Back